Hershey Bears Break Teddy Bear Toss World Record
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears are the new world record holder in one of the best promotions in all of sports. The Bears, the oldest and most decorated team in the American Hockey League, collected 34,798 teddy bears and stuffed animals in Sunday's annual CommunityAid and WGAL Teddy Bear Toss. This surpasses the team's record of 25,017 collected in 2017, and the world record of 28,815, previously set by the Western Hockey League's Calgary Hitmen in 2015. The world-famous event sees fans throw stuffed animals onto the ice following the team's first goal of the game. The stuffed animals are then collected and donated to charity ahead of the holiday season.
Local partner CommunityAid will donate 50 cents per stuffed animal, up to $15,000. Additionally, a club seat holder for the Bears will donate $1 per stuffed animal collected on behalf of the Sweigart Family Foundation.
The teddy bears and stuffed animals are collected and donated to over 30 local organizations including schools, food banks, churches, lions clubs, as well as the Milton Hershey School, Children's Miracle Network, and the American Cancer Society.
For more information, media members are asked to contact Zack Fisch, Manager of Hershey Bears Media Relations and Broadcasting, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Matt Trust, Hershey Bears Media Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Images from this story
Hershey Bears break teddy bear toss world record
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 2, 2018
- Lankinen, Sikura Propel Rockford Past Ramage - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Tucson's Resolve Topped Late in 5-4 Overtime Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bears Win Big on Record Setting Teddy Bear Toss Night - Hershey Bears
- Sikura, IceHogs Top Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Devils Halted in Hershey, 6-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Stars Outshine Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Koivula scores twice and Ho-Sang nets the overtime-winner in Bridgeport's victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hershey Bears Break Teddy Bear Toss World Record - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Stun P-Bruins in OT 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Poturalski OT Winner Caps Comeback Win over Bruins - Charlotte Checkers
- Second Period Comeback Secures Point for T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Face Phantoms in Sunday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Rangers Recall Matt Beleskey from Hartford, Assign Tim Gettinger - Hartford Wolf Pack
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Eddie Pasquale, Reassign Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #19 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Starrett Stonewalls Moose in 4-0 Shutout - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Quiet in 4-0 Loss at Bakersfield - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Use Big First to Top Heat, 6-4 - San Jose Barracuda
- Rockford Offense Sputters as Ads Blank Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.