Bears Win Big on Record Setting Teddy Bear Toss Night
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears scored early and often on CommunityAid & WGAL Teddy Bear Toss Night in a thrilling in 6-3 win over the Binghamton Devils on Sunday night. Riley Barber's first period goal sent Giant Center into a teddy bear toss frenzy, leading to 34,798 stuffed animals collected. Donated items will be provided to over 30 local charities across Central Pennsylvania. This surpasses the team's record of 25,017 collected in 2017, and the world record of 28,815, previously set by the Western Hockey League's Calgary Hitmen in 2015.
After the Devils struck first on a goal by Nathan Bastian at 9:08, Barber unleashed the teddy bears only 50 seconds later in front of a crowd of 10,046. After Mike Sgarbossa hit the cross-bar on a power play chance, Barber potted the rebound to even the score. Following the lengthy teddy bear cleanup on ice, the Chocolate and White possessed the momentum for the remainder of the first period. At 11:16, Shane Gersich scored unassisted to provide Hershey a 2-1 lead prior to intermission. Shots after 20 minutes were tied 15-15.
Both team's traded goals in the second period, but it was a late deflection by Nathan Walker with 1.7 seconds left on the game clock that gave Hershey a 3-2 lead at second intermission. The Bears out scored the opposition 3-1 in the third period to cruise to a 6-3 win. Liam O'Brien scored at 3:42 and eventually added an empty net goal at 17:26 to round out the scoring. On O'Brien's first goal, Jake Linhart earned the primary helper for his first career AHL point.
After Marian Studenic scored for Binghamton at 9:04 to pull the Devils within 4-3, Aaron Ness responded with a key insurance marker at 10:22. The Bears finished the night 4-for-5 on the power play and a perfect 5-for-5 on the penalty kill. Final shots on goal were 35-32 Hershey.
The Hershey Bears return to the ice on Friday, December 7 against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms at PPL Center. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the call on the Bears Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 2, 2018
- Lankinen, Sikura Propel Rockford Past Ramage - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Tucson's Resolve Topped Late in 5-4 Overtime Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bears Win Big on Record Setting Teddy Bear Toss Night - Hershey Bears
- Sikura, IceHogs Top Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Devils Halted in Hershey, 6-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Stars Outshine Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Koivula scores twice and Ho-Sang nets the overtime-winner in Bridgeport's victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hershey Bears Break Teddy Bear Toss World Record - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Stun P-Bruins in OT 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Poturalski OT Winner Caps Comeback Win over Bruins - Charlotte Checkers
- Second Period Comeback Secures Point for T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Face Phantoms in Sunday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Rangers Recall Matt Beleskey from Hartford, Assign Tim Gettinger - Hartford Wolf Pack
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Eddie Pasquale, Reassign Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #19 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Starrett Stonewalls Moose in 4-0 Shutout - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Quiet in 4-0 Loss at Bakersfield - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Use Big First to Top Heat, 6-4 - San Jose Barracuda
- Rockford Offense Sputters as Ads Blank Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.