Devils Halted in Hershey, 6-3
HERSHEY - The Hershey Bears scored four power-play goals in a 6-3 win over the Binghamton Devils in front of over 10,000 fans at Giant Center on Sunday night.
Michael McLeod came back into the lineup and made an immediate impact with Nathan Bastian to give the Devils a 1-0 lead. McLeod took a pass from Michael Kapla in the right wing circle and sent it to Bastian who deflected the shot by goaltender Vitek Vanecek for the 1-0 lead. The goal was Bastian's sixth of the year from McLeod and Kapla and came at 9:08 of the first.
Riley Barber made it rain teddy bears as he put home a power-play goal on a rebound to tie the game at one. After the original shot went off the cross bar, Barber's rebound shot beat a diving Cam Johnson for his eighth of the year 9:58 into the game with assists from Mike Sgarbossa and Aaron Ness.
After a long break to clean up the bears, the puck got away from Johnson on the side of the net and Shane Gersich fired it into a wide-open net to give Hershey a 2-1 lead. Gersich's goal was his third of the year, unassisted, and the Bears took a 2-1 lead into the first intermission with the shots even at 15.
In the middle frame, Marian Studenic fed John Quenneville with a nice pass through his legs and Quenneville ripped a snap shot by the glove of Vanecek to tie the game at two. The goal was Quenneville's sixth of the year from Studenic and Colton White at 16:16 of the middle period.
The Devils couldn't clear the puck and Hershey made them pay with less than 0:02 left in the second. Jayson Megna kept the puck in at the right point, turned, and fired a shot towards the net that Nathan Walker deflected by Johnson to re-gain the lead, 3-2. The Bears took the one-goal lead into the second intermission while the Devils held a 23-22 shot advantage.
Just 3:42 into the third period, Liam O'Brien converted for Hershey's third power-play goal of the night for a 4-2 lead with assists from Jake Linhart and Riley Barber.
The Devils pulled back within one in the third as Studenic fired home his ninth of the year at 9:05, beating Vanecek through the arm and the puck trickled over the goal line. Assists were given to White and Quenneville.
The Bears added a power-play goal by Ness and an empty-net goal by O'Brien to finish off a 6-3 win over the Devils. Johnson and Vanecek each made 29 saves in the game.
The Devils are back home Saturday for Teddy Bear Toss Night against the Utica Comets at 7:05 p.m. Fans can get two tickets and a teddy bear to throw on the ice for charity when the Devils score their first goal for just $35.
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils vs. the Hershey Bears
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 2, 2018
- Lankinen, Sikura Propel Rockford Past Ramage - Rockford IceHogs
- Reign Win in OT - Ontario Reign
- Tucson's Resolve Topped Late in 5-4 Overtime Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bears Win Big on Record Setting Teddy Bear Toss Night - Hershey Bears
- Sikura, IceHogs Top Rampage in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Devils Halted in Hershey, 6-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Stars Outshine Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Koivula scores twice and Ho-Sang nets the overtime-winner in Bridgeport's victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hershey Bears Break Teddy Bear Toss World Record - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Stun P-Bruins in OT 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Poturalski OT Winner Caps Comeback Win over Bruins - Charlotte Checkers
- Second Period Comeback Secures Point for T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Face Phantoms in Sunday Matinee - Toronto Marlies
- Rangers Recall Matt Beleskey from Hartford, Assign Tim Gettinger - Hartford Wolf Pack
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Eddie Pasquale, Reassign Connor Ingram to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #19 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 5 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Starrett Stonewalls Moose in 4-0 Shutout - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Quiet in 4-0 Loss at Bakersfield - Manitoba Moose
- Barracuda Use Big First to Top Heat, 6-4 - San Jose Barracuda
- Rockford Offense Sputters as Ads Blank Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.