Magic Number Is One as BlueClaws Sweep Pair
GREENSBORO, NC - The BlueClaws swept a double-header from Greensboro on Wednesday night and in the process cut their magic number to one to win the SAL Northern Division Second Half title. They also won their 84th game of the year, tying the franchise record set by the 2006 and 2010 BlueClaws.
Lakewood (43-21/84-49) won the first game 4-1 and the second game 8-5 from Greensboro (23-39/57-74) and can clinch the second half title with a win or a Hickory loss on Thursday night. These BlueClaws will finish with the best record in franchise history, as the 2006 and 2010 BlueClaws won 84 of 139 but these BlueClaws have 84 wins and will play 138 games due to weather cancellations.
Game One Recap
James McArthur had a successful BlueClaws debut, allowing one walk over four hitless and scoreless innings as Lakewood topped Greensboro 4-1.
McArthur was added to the roster on Monday. He was a 12th round pick in this year's draft from Ole Miss. The BlueClaws opened the scoring in the third inning on an RBI double by Matt Vierling. The 5th round pick from Notre Dame is now hitting over .320 in the second half. A groundout by Simon Muzziotti scored a run and Vierling came home on a throwing error from catcher Nick Fortes. Rodolfo Duran capped the inning with an RBI single.
Luis Cedeno gave up a run in the sixth but earned the win. Connor Brogdon got the last three outs for his fifth save, all of which have come in the second half.
Game Two Recap
The BlueClaws jumped out a first inning lead on a fielding error on first baseman Garvis Lara, who dropped a throw on a grounder that would have ended the inning. Lakewood got a run without a hit in the third on an error on shortstop Osiris Johnson for a 2-0 lead.
Gregori Rivero doubled and scored on a wild pitch in the fourth inning and Jhailyn Ortiz hit his 13th home run of the season in the fourth. For Ortiz, it was his second home run of the current road trip and 29th of the 19-year old's career.
Starter Gustavo Armas (3-1) threw four scoreless before allowing a two-run double in the fifth to JD Osborne.
Gregori Rivero (3rd) and Dalton Guthrie (4th) each homered in the sixth, with Guthrie driving home three to put the BlueClaws up 8-2.
The teams finish their series on Thursday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Andrew Brown (5-3) starts for Lakewood.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 29, 2018
- RiverDogs Rally for Six Late Runs in Bounce-Back Victory - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Dads Blank 'Birds to Clinch Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Tourists Gain Ground with Big Road Win - Asheville Tourists
- Magic Number Is One as BlueClaws Sweep Pair - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Grotz Turns in Another Quality Start on Wednesday - Columbia Fireflies
- Drive Fall in Walkoff Fashion for Second Straight Night - Greenville Drive
- Osborne Triples in 2 Runs in Loss to 'Claws - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Extra Innings Go To Rome 3-2 - Rome Braves
- Upshaw Homers in 4-1 Loss on Wednesday - Hagerstown Suns
- Pair of Late Homers, Quality Start Lead to 4-1 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Hoppers Break up No-Hitter in Sixth - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 29 vs. Charleston (Game 128) - Columbia Fireflies
- GreenJackets Take Game Three in Matinee - Lexington Legends
- No Horsing Around for the GreenJackets in Kentucky - Augusta GreenJackets
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (august 29) - West Virginia Power
- ZOOperstars, Bark in the Park and More - Hickory Crawdads
- Seuly Matias Named to South Atlantic League 2018 Annual All-Star Team - Lexington Legends
- South Atlantic League Announces 2018 Annual All-Star Team - SAL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.