Luke Schenn Returns Golden
Kelowna, BC: The Kelowna Rockets are pleased to announce that 18 year old Luke Schenn will return home to Kelowna with his IIHF World Junior Gold Medal on Sunday January 6, 2008.
For the second time in his hockey career Schenn has won a Gold Medal at a World Junior Championship. Schenn's first was at the Under 18 Canadian Junior World Cup. His second came today as Canada beat Sweden in overtime 3-2 at the IIHF World Junior Championships in the Czech Republic.
Schenn becomes the fourth Kelowna Rocket to be part of a Gold Medal winning team at the World Juniors. He follows in the footsteps of Rob Gordon in 1996, Shea Weber in 2005 and Blake Comeau in 2006.
Kelowna Rockets President/General Manager Bruce Hamilton says, "We are extremely proud of Luke and also know how honoured he is to play for his country and how proud his family is of him. Our plan will be to honour Luke on Wednesday night and likely send him home for some rest and time with his family. We look forward to getting him back in our line up on a regular basis as we continue with the second half of our season."
Luke will return home to Kelowna with his Gold Medal on Sunday January 6, 2008 at 7:30PM on Air Canada. He will then be honoured for his contributions on Wednesday night at Prospera Place prior to the Rockets hosting the Chilliwack Bruins.
Currently this season in 31 games with the Rockets, Luke has 5 goals, 13 assists and 18 points. He is also at plus 11.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 5, 2008
- Bruins Double Up Cougars - Chilliwack Bruins
- Giants sneak past Thunderbirds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Everett Wins Big In Portland - Everett Silvertips
- Luke Schenn Returns Golden - Kelowna Rockets
- Suspension Handed Down - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Canada Wins Fourth Straight Gold - Saskatoon Blades
- Bruins Moller grabs Silver for Sweden - Chilliwack Bruins
- Young Stars Set To Return - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pats and Rebels Makes Second Trade of the Week - Regina Pats
- Pats Deal Ross; Acquire Bender - Regina Pats
- Blazers Made Two Trades - Kamloops Blazers
- Calgary Hitmen Acquire Kamloops Blazers Leading Scorer Brock Nixon - Calgary Hitmen
- Rebels Add Two Players From Regina - Red Deer Rebels
- Blazers Fend Off Americans 3-2 - Kamloops Blazers
- Silvertips can't stop Bruins - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs take shootout - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.