Louisville Tallies Eight Two-Out RBIs, Defeats Gwinnett 9-5
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - The Louisville Bats (28-43) scored eight runs with two outs and defeated the Gwinnett Stripers (38-32) 9-5 on Wednesday night at Coolray Field.
Scoring Recap: The Bats took a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning on a three-run home run by Rob Refsnyder (7) off Patrick Weigel. Sean Kazmar Jr. cut the deficit to 3-1 in the bottom of the first with an RBI single. The Bats scored runs in the third and fourth off Weigel to extend their lead to 5-1. In the bottom of the fourth, Connor Lien recorded his first Triple-A hit and RBI with a pinch-hit single to make it 5-2. Luis Marte scored later in the fourth on an RBI fielder's choice by Ryan LaMarre to trim Louisville's lead to 5-3. Trailing 6-3 in the bottom of the sixth, Alex Jackson scored on a balk and LaMarre grounded into another RBI fielder's choice to make it a one-run game at 6-5. The Bats added three runs to put the game away, getting an RBI single from Alex Blandino in the seventh and a two-run double from Blandino in the ninth for a 9-5 final.
Stripers Stats: Weigel (L, 0-1) yielded five runs - four earned - on seven hits over 4.0 innings of work. Wes Parsons, Dan Winkler, and Ben Rowen combined to allow four runs over 5.0 innings of relief. LaMarre went 2-for-5 with two RBIs, and Jack Lopez went 2-for-3 with two runs scored.
Bats Stats: Tejay Antone (W, 1-0) won in his first outing with Louisville this season, striking out seven while allowing five runs on nine hits over 5.1 innings. Jimmy Herget (S, 2) struck out one over 1.2 scoreless innings. Refsnyder went 3-for-4 with a home run and three RBIs, and Blandino went 2-for-4 with a double and three RBIs.
Quote: "Tough night for us," Stripers Manager Damon Berryhill said. "We weren't very efficient with our pitches and they did a good job of hitting those pitches."
Postgame Notes: Lopez extended his hitting streak to seven games with his third straight multi-hit effort. Lien recorded the first pinch-hit RBI for the Stripers this season. Gwinnett dropped to 4-17 in games without a home run in 2019.
Next Game (Thursday, June 20): Gwinnett vs. Louisville, 12:05 p.m. at Coolray Field. RHP Kyle Wright (4-4, 6.02 ERA) for the Stripers vs. RHP Lucas Sims (4-0, 4.13 ERA) for the Bats. Radio Broadcast: 11:50 a.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 19, 2019
- Pannone's Strong Start Propels Bisons to 6-3 Win over Indians - Buffalo Bisons
- Three-Run Sixth Dooms Tribe as Bisons Even Series - Indianapolis Indians
- Bulls Sweep Doubleheader from PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bats Even Series against Gwinnett, Winning 9-5 - Louisville Bats
- RailRiders Rally past Norfolk in 10 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Tallies Eight Two-Out RBIs, Defeats Gwinnett 9-5 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Tejada Hits for Cycle, But Mets Fall to Knights, 9-7 - Syracuse Mets
- Knights Rally Late to Top Mets 9-7 - Charlotte Knights
- Red Wings, Clippers Suspended Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Clipper's Game Suspended - Columbus Clippers
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Toledo Victorious in High Scoring Affair - Toledo Mud Hens
- Pigs losing streak extends to six with daytime loss - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (27-43) at Gwinnett Stripers (38-31) - Louisville Bats
- Louisville Bats to Hold 'Flash Sale' June 20-23 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Indianapolis (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-31) at Buffalo Bisons (32-36) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Falls in Extras to Gwinnett, 5-3 - Louisville Bats
- Duvall's Walk-Off Homer Sends Stripers to 5-3 Win - Gwinnett Stripers
- Syracuse Prevails over Charlotte, 4-3, in Ten Innings on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Stripers "Veterans Pack" Returns for Veterans Day
- Chris Young to Play Coolray Field's First-Ever Socially-Distant Concert on November 14
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule