Liz Dominant as Beavers Two-Hit Bees, 3-0
Radhames Liz struck out eight and lost his no-hit bid with two outs in the seventh inning and Dusty Ryan drove in the go-ahead run with a two-out double in the seventh as the Portland Beavers tossed their second straight two-hitter in a 3-0 win over the Salt Lake Bees Monday night at PGE Park.
Liz (7-6) retired 20 of the first 22 batters and did not allow a hit until Hank Conger hit a two-out, ground-rule double to center in the seventh. The right-hander finished with 7 2/3 shutout innings, yielding only the one hit and two walks.
On Sunday, Beavers (42-68) left-hander Cesar Ramos gave up two hits to the Bees while taking the loss in a seven-inning complete game in game two of a doubleheader.
The Beavers were held hitless by Bees (56-54) starter Matt Palmer and reliever Ryan Vogelsong (0-1) until the sixth, when Cedric Hunter singled up the middle with one out.
Luis Perdomo and Adam Russell finished the gem, with Russell earning his sixth save.
Hunter was 2-for-4 on the night and Mike Baxter reached safely three times, going 1-for-2 with two walks and an RBI.
With two outs in the seventh, Sean Kazmar laced a single over the second baseman Nate Sutton's head. After stealing second, Kazmar scored easily on Ryan's 10th double of the season just inside the first base bag.
Portland added two insurance runs in the eighth on RBI singles by Baxter and Kyle Phillips.
The Beavers and Bees meet for the final time this season on Tuesday at 12:05 p.m. (Pacific) at PGE Park. The game will be televised live on FSN.
NOTES: Beavers pitchers have conceded only one run in their last 20 innings ... Hunter has six multi-hit efforts in his last eight games.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 2, 2010
- Rainiers Knocked Off By Reno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Liz Dominant as Beavers Two-Hit Bees, 3-0 - Portland Beavers
- Reno Tops Rainiers, 4-1 - Reno Aces
- Royals Rout Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- Z's Pound 'Topes 10-1 Behind Five Run Third and Strong Outing by Ungs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Quiet Express Bats for 5-1 Win - Round Rock Express
- Giants, Grizzlies Extend Player Development Contract - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Win 2nd Straight Against Express, 5-1 - Nashville Sounds
- PCL Names Player & Pitcher of the Week - PCL
- Zephyrs Looking to Set "Twist" Record - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- 51s Host Memphis Redbirds and Nashville Sounds in 8-Game Homestand (august 4-11) - Las Vegas Aviators
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Topes Return This Wednesday for Eight Games - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Chubby Checker, Zephyrs Attempt to Set World Record Tonight - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Humber Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bourjos Sets Marks - PCL
- Zs and Topes Split Doubleheader - New Orleans Baby Cakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss