Legends Outlast Suns
PRESCOTT VALLEY, AZ - The Texas Legends (1-2) grabbed their first win of the tenth anniversary season on the road against the Northern Arizona Suns (0-2) 117-113.
The Suns got off to a hot start in the first quarter, taking a double-digit lead just over seven minutes into the game. Texas responded with a 13-2 run and the back-and-forth ensued until a buzzer-beating bank shot from Aric Holman tied it up going into the second. The home team opened the second with three triples, but Texas stayed within reach. After eight more lead changes in the quarter, the Legends went into the break up 56-54.
The two exchanged leads four times early in the third before an Antonius Cleveland putback put Texas on top for the edge they would hold through the final buzzer. Xavier Rathan-Mayes had 19 of his 31 points in the second half while Dakota Mathias added 16. With 4:38 to play, Mathias knocked down his fifth three of the night to put Texas up 12, but Northern Arizona responded with 11 unanswered to bring the game within reach in the final minute. Mathias and Isaiah Roby went 4-for-4 from the free throw to seal the Legends' first victory of the season.
Rathan-Mayes led all scorers with 31 points while also dishing out a team-high 7 assists. Mathias finished up with 26 points, 5 rebounds while Roby grabbed a double-double for Texas of 11 points, 11 rebounds along with 3 assists, 3 steals, and a block. Nate Mason rounded out the double-digit scoring with 11 points off the bench shooting 3-of-5 from outside.
Six players finished in double-digits for the Suns, led by Jared Harper with 27. Tariq Owens had a game-high 15 rebounds for a double-double with 14 points and 3 blocks. ShawnDre Jones added 12 points and 8 assists.
Texas finished the night with 12 turnovers while forcing 19 on Northern Arizona. The Legends left a few on the free throw line (hitting 10 of 19) but controlled the boards 51-49.
Texas will head to Iowa next to take on the Wolves Saturday at 7pm CT. Fans can catch all the action live at www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 14, 2019
- Austin Spurs Announce Salvation Army Sundays - Austin Spurs
- Maine Red Claws, NBC Sports Boston Announce Home TV Schedule for 2019-20 G League Season - Maine Red Claws
- Long Island Nets to Host Military Appreciation Game, Presented by Bank of America, Sunday, November 17 - Long Island Nets
- Timberwolves Recall Keita Bates-Diop from G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Guard Nick Zeisloft - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Kings Recall Wenyen Gabriel and Justin James - Stockton Kings
- College Park Skyhawks Unveil Home Court for Inaugural Season - College Park Skyhawks
- College Park Skyhawks Transfer Charlie Brown, Jr. to Atlanta Hawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Stockton Kings Beat Sioux Falls Skyforce 132-112 for Second Home Win - Stockton Kings
- South Bay Cruises to First Win of Season - South Bay Lakers
- Back-And-Forth Affair Doesn't Go Suns Way against Texas - Northern Arizona Suns
- Agua Caliente Goes Cold, Can't Keep up with South Bay - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Stars Drop Game at Iowa - Salt Lake City Stars
- Legends Outlast Suns - Texas Legends
- Herd Erase 17-Point Deficit, Beat Capital City 123-113 - Wisconsin Herd
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Legends Stories
- PRJKT VET Logo to Go on Legends' Court
- Legends Build "ConNEXTions" Youth Mentorship Program
- Texas Pro Sports Teams and Civic Organizations Unite with #TexasTeamUp Campaign to Encourage Voter Turnout in the Lone Star State
- Legends' Home Comerica Center to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- Legends Host Voter Registration Event Sep. 22nd