Late Surge Not Enough for Jacks, Fall 5-3 to Dayton
DAYTON, OH - For the second straight game, the Odessa Jackalopes scored a pair of third period goals only to fall short in a comeback effort as the Dayton Gems pulled out a 5-3 win on Saturday night at Hara Arena. Despite the loss, Odessa's Sebastien Thinel pulled to within one point of 600 in his pro career.
Darryl Bootland also notched the 250th point of his pro tenure with one of Odessa's third period goals at 7:57. Kenny Bernard was the other goal-scorer nearly four minutes earlier, but Dayton's Chris Lipsett put the game away with an empty net tally in the frame's final two minutes.
Dayton built up a 3-0 lead over the Jackalopes as Jonathan Ornelas scored the first period's only goal with a power play marker at 12:29. Erik Boisvert scored again not even four minutes into the second period before Brett Lutes scored his first of two goals on the night with a power play goal at 4:31.
Thinel's 599th career point came on Odessa's first goal of the game, a power play goal from a loose puck on the right side of the goal crease at 14:30. Dayton countered with Lutes' second of the game with a minute remaining in the second period.
Bernard's third period goal came on a wrist shot from the top of the right circle, while Bootland deflected a Todd Robinson point shot for his tally.
Thinel's goal in the game also extends his season-opening point streak to four games with seven points over that span (four goals, three assists). The Jackalopes wrap up their four-game road trip to start the season going 1-3-0, while the Gems improved to 3-1-0.
Jeff Jakaitis put together a 34 save performance in the Dayton win, Odessa's Joel Martin stopped 26 shots.
Odessa heads home to prepare for the Laredo Bucks on Thursday. Game time is set for 7:05 PM and the action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team will begin its 14th season in the Permian Basin in October 2010. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 23, 2010
- Eagles Spoil Rush's Party With Another Win - Colorado Eagles
- Mississippi Shows Up Missouri For First Win - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mudbugs Top Brahmas in Foster's Debut - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Evansville Downs Mallards 6-3 - Quad City Mallards
- Muncy Gives Killer Bees 4-3 Overtime Victory - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Bucks Stung in Home Opener 4-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Brahmas Fall Short Against 'bugs, 4-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Gems Pick Up Weekend Sweep With 5-3 Win - Dayton Gems
- PrairieThunder Remains Undefeated Following 2-1 Overtime Win on Saturdfay - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Late Surge Not Enough for Jacks, Fall 5-3 to Dayton - Odessa Jackalopes
- Americans Silence Thunder, Win 5-3 - Allen Americans
- RiverKings Three-Goal Third Period Buries Mavericks, 5-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bucks App Available for Android - Laredo Bucks
- Kolanos Nets a Pair in Return to Tim's Toyota Center to Lead Sundogs to 2-1 Overtime Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Rush Dealt First Loss of Season - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Beat Thunder, 2-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Eagles Hand Rush First Loss of Season - Colorado Eagles
- Texas tops Rio in opener - Fort Worth Brahmas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.