Larry Freedman, John Thorrington Named LAFC Co-Presidents
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today that Larry Freedman and John Thorrington will officially share the role of LAFC Co-President, effective immediately. The two had been serving in interim roles since August.
Originally named LAFC's first EVP of Soccer Operations and General Manager on December 8th, 2015, John Thorrington led LAFC to immediate on field success in its first season, as LAFC broke the all-time MLS record in points (57) for an expansion team, clinched the third spot in the Western Conference and reached the semifinals of the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. LAFC also became the first team in its inaugural season to win seven away matches (since the League instituted ties in 2000).
With even more on field success in year two, Thorrington constructed a roster that continued to break records, capturing the 2019 MLS Supporters' Shield, while setting a new single-season points record (72) and tying the single-season team goals record (85), averaging 2.12 points per game with a league record of 21-4-9 - three more wins and two fewer losses than the next closest teams - and a whopping +48 goal differential.
In his third year overseeing the Club's on-field success, Thorrington and company guided LAFC to the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs for the third consecutive year. Since 2018, the Black & Gold leads the League in total regular season wins (46) and points (161) and became the first team in MLS history to defeat three Liga MX teams in the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League en route to an appearance in the CCL Final.
Larry Freedman, LAFC's Chief Business Officer, who has been with the Club since 2014, was named the MLS 2019 Doug Hamilton Executive of the Year and a finalist for the 2020 World Football Summit Best Executive Award.
Under Freedman's leadership LAFC has sold out every MLS home match in its history and LAFC and Banc of California Stadium have received numerous awards, including being named one of the Best Employers in Sports by Front Office Sports, to Fast Company's annual list of The World's Most Innovative Companies, an IOC IPC IAKS Architecture Prize winner for outstanding accessible, sustainable and technical venue design and nominated as a finalist for the Sports Business Journal's Sports Breakthrough of the Year and Sports Facility of the Year.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 31, 2021
- Nashville SC Earns 1-0 Victory over Tampa Bay Rowdies in Preseason Match - Nashville SC
- Rapids Top FC Tucson, LA Galaxy II in Midweek Scrimmage - Colorado Rapids
- Larry Freedman, John Thorrington Named LAFC Co-Presidents - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Names iHeartMedia Austin's ALT 97.5 FM Official Flagship English-Language Broadcast Partner - Austin FC
- Timbers, Thorns FC Launch Tiktok for Good Custom Scarf Collection - Portland Timbers
- New England Revolution Youth Development Highlights: March 31, 2021 - New England Revolution
- LAFC Supports California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Support California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day in Allegiance with United Farm Workers Foundation - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Winger Isaac Atanga from Danish Club FC Nordsjaelland - FC Cincinnati
- Paul Arriola Returns to D.C. United to Rehabilitate from An Injury Sustained on Loan at Swansea City - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Partner with LAFC, LA Galaxy, Oakland Roots SC, and Sacramento Republic FC to Support California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union Announce Partnership with Osmo - Philadelphia Union
- Reimagined League Website and Launch of "Our Soccer" Campaign Signal MLS Is Back in 2021 - MLS
- "Austin Table" Rotational Chef Series Introduced - Austin FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Cancel Today's Preseason Game against Austin Bold FC; Will Hold Open Practice for Fans at 1 p.m. - Houston Dynamo FC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Leon Flach - Philadelphia Union
- Minnesota United Adds Damian Roden as Senior Director of Sports Science - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Plays to 1-1 Draw with Houston Dynamo FC in Front of Sellout Crowd at Banc of California Stadium
- LAFC Loans Five Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against Orange County Sc
- LAFC Loans Eight Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against LA Galaxy II
- LAFC Inks New Partnership with Rockstar Energy Drink
- LAFC Announces Time Change for Away Match against Portland Timbers