LA Galaxy Support California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day in Allegiance with United Farm Workers Foundation
LOS ANGELES - In celebration of Cesar Chavez Day, a coalition of five Californian professional soccer teams, including the LA Galaxy, are joining forces today with the United Farm Workers Foundation to raise funds in support of farm workers in California.
The five clubs, which include the LA Galaxy, San Jose Earthquakes, LAFC, Oakland Roots SC and Sacramento Republic FC, have created a GoFundMe account to raise funds. The LA Galaxy Foundation has contributed $1,000 to United Farm Workers and encourages our Galaxy fans to learn more and contribute by click here. All funds raised today will be allocated to UFW Foundation's COVID-19 relief and vaccination efforts to support the farm working community in appreciation for their arduous labor and year-round contributions.
"We are excited to partner with the United Farm Workers Foundation and the soccer community to help raise funds in support of farm workers in California," said LA Galaxy President Chris Klein. "We hope these efforts provide greater access to vaccines as we do all we can to help the underserved farm workers in our state. We look forward to continuing to serve our community and neighbors as we navigate through these unprecedented times."
According to recent studies, farm workers are not only more likely than the general public to be infected with COVID-19 but also more likely to die from it. In response to these findings, UFW Foundation has begun hosting vaccination events throughout California where thousands of farm workers have already received the COVID-19 vaccine since the beginning of March.
Vaccinations are available to all farm workers 18 years or older at no charge. No health insurance or doctor's note is required. Farm workers are encouraged to call the bilingual toll-free call centers of UFW Foundation at (661) 501-4280 to see what vaccination events are near them. The UFW Foundation continues to work with different partners to make the vaccines accessible to more farm worker communities throughout California and other states.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 31, 2021
- Nashville SC Earns 1-0 Victory over Tampa Bay Rowdies in Preseason Match - Nashville SC
- Rapids Top FC Tucson, LA Galaxy II in Midweek Scrimmage - Colorado Rapids
- Larry Freedman, John Thorrington Named LAFC Co-Presidents - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Names iHeartMedia Austin's ALT 97.5 FM Official Flagship English-Language Broadcast Partner - Austin FC
- Timbers, Thorns FC Launch Tiktok for Good Custom Scarf Collection - Portland Timbers
- New England Revolution Youth Development Highlights: March 31, 2021 - New England Revolution
- LAFC Supports California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Support California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day in Allegiance with United Farm Workers Foundation - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Winger Isaac Atanga from Danish Club FC Nordsjaelland - FC Cincinnati
- Paul Arriola Returns to D.C. United to Rehabilitate from An Injury Sustained on Loan at Swansea City - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Partner with LAFC, LA Galaxy, Oakland Roots SC, and Sacramento Republic FC to Support California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union Announce Partnership with Osmo - Philadelphia Union
- Reimagined League Website and Launch of "Our Soccer" Campaign Signal MLS Is Back in 2021 - MLS
- "Austin Table" Rotational Chef Series Introduced - Austin FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Cancel Today's Preseason Game against Austin Bold FC; Will Hold Open Practice for Fans at 1 p.m. - Houston Dynamo FC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Leon Flach - Philadelphia Union
- Minnesota United Adds Damian Roden as Senior Director of Sports Science - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Weekly
- LA Galaxy Fall 2-1 at Home to Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday Night
- LA Galaxy Release Match Information for Match Saturday vs. Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Announce Time Change for August 20 Home Match against San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy to Celebrate Juneteenth this Saturday, June 19 During Match vs. Seattle Sounders FC, Presented by Modelo