Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Leon Flach
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that they have signed German-American midfielder Leon Flach from F.C. St. Pauli to a two-year contract with a club option for a third and fourth year in exchange for an undisclosed transfer fee. The U.S. youth international player will be added to the Union's active roster effective immediately. Flach is the Union's second signing following the teams' historic 2020 Supporters' Shield victory.
Assets for Media Use: Photos of Leon Flach
The Union will be holding media availability today Wednesday, March 31 at11:30 a.m. ET with Sporting Director Ernst Tanner and midfielder Leon Flach. For those who would like to join please click HERE and enter Union2021 when prompted for a password.
"We're excited to welcome Leon to the Philadelphia Union. He is a promising young prospect who brings versatility to the field with his ability to play multiple positions in the midfield as well as left back," said Ernst Tanner, Philadelphia Union Sporting Director. "Adding a natural left-footed player to our roster will allow for options and creativity in the midfield and we look forward to watching him develop in our system."
Born in Humble, Texas, Flach holds dual German and U.S. citizenship. He comes to Philadelphia from the second tier German Bundesliga club F.C. St. Pauli, the same club the Union previously signed fan-favorite Fafa Picault from in 2017. He made his professional debut for the club in September 2020 and would go on to make nine appearances. He scored his first professional goal for the club on January 3, 2021 in a match vs. Greuther Furth.
Previously, Flach came up through the F.C. St Pauli youth system, where he played for St. Pauli Youth in 2016 and went on to play for St. Pauli's U17 and U19 teams before signing with the first team on July 1, 2020.
Internationally, Flach has made two appearances for the German U18 Youth National Team and is a current USMNT U20 international. His first call up to represent the U.S. was for a U20 camp in in January 2020 where he featured in a 2-0 victory in a friendly vs. Mexico.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union sign defensive midfielder Leon Flach on March 31, 2021.
Name: Leon Flach
Born: Feb. 28, 2001
Hometown: Humble Texas
Citizenship: United States & Germany
Acquired: Philadelphia Union midfielder Leon Flach on March 31, 2021.
Previous Experience: F.C St. Pauli (2020-2021)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 31, 2021
- Nashville SC Earns 1-0 Victory over Tampa Bay Rowdies in Preseason Match - Nashville SC
- Rapids Top FC Tucson, LA Galaxy II in Midweek Scrimmage - Colorado Rapids
- Larry Freedman, John Thorrington Named LAFC Co-Presidents - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Names iHeartMedia Austin's ALT 97.5 FM Official Flagship English-Language Broadcast Partner - Austin FC
- Timbers, Thorns FC Launch Tiktok for Good Custom Scarf Collection - Portland Timbers
- New England Revolution Youth Development Highlights: March 31, 2021 - New England Revolution
- LAFC Supports California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Support California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day in Allegiance with United Farm Workers Foundation - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Winger Isaac Atanga from Danish Club FC Nordsjaelland - FC Cincinnati
- Paul Arriola Returns to D.C. United to Rehabilitate from An Injury Sustained on Loan at Swansea City - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Partner with LAFC, LA Galaxy, Oakland Roots SC, and Sacramento Republic FC to Support California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union Announce Partnership with Osmo - Philadelphia Union
- Reimagined League Website and Launch of "Our Soccer" Campaign Signal MLS Is Back in 2021 - MLS
- "Austin Table" Rotational Chef Series Introduced - Austin FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Cancel Today's Preseason Game against Austin Bold FC; Will Hold Open Practice for Fans at 1 p.m. - Houston Dynamo FC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Leon Flach - Philadelphia Union
- Minnesota United Adds Damian Roden as Senior Director of Sports Science - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union come from behind to score twice in final minutes of match to take a point on the road
- Philadelphia Union Sign Head Coach Jim Curtin to Contract Extension
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Alvas Powell
- Przybylko breaks tie with Jack McInerney to hold third on the clubs all-time scoring list
- Union remain undefeated on the road