Lakeland Clinches First Round Bye in Comeback Win over 905
The Lakeland Swans, NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, defeat the Raptors 905 105-104 on Friday night at the RP Funding Center.
It was a back-and-forth contest in the first with the 905 pulling out in front 28-23 at the end of the quarter. The Swans tied the score 28-28 on a three pointer by Anthony Brown at the start of the second quarter. The 905 went on a hot streak to extend the lead to nine points (42-33) with 7:01 remaining in the half but the Swans fought back to get within five points with 3:40 remaining. The 905 would take an 11 point lead into the locker room at the half on a three pointer at the buzzer by Jordan Lloyd.
The Swans hit back to back three pointers to start the second half to cut the 905 lead to just five points. The 905 extended the lead to 16 points (73-57) for their biggest lead of the game but the Swans were able to close the gap to nine points with the score 89-80 at the end of the third. The 905 increased the lead to 14 points with 6:36 on the clock but the Swans fought back in the final minutes of play to cut the lead to just one point with 1:18 remaining.
The Swans would take the lead on a layup by Assignment Player, Melvin Frazier Jr. with the score 102-101 and under a minute remaining. John Petrucelli came up with a timely steal and drove the court for the layup to give the Swans a three point lead with just 42.4 seconds left in the contest. Josh Adams answered quickly with the three pointer to tie it up 104-104 with 19 seconds remaining. Troy Caupain would draw the foul and make one of two to give the Swans a one point lead. The Swans rebounded the missed shot to run out the clock and secure the comeback win 105-104 over the 905.
Troy Caupain led the way for the Swans just shy of the triple-double with 23 points, 9 rebounds and 11 assists. Assignment Player, Melvin Frazier Jr. scored 21 points and 7 rebounds. Gabe York scored 20 points. John Petrucelli scored 15 points and 5 rebounds.
For the 905, all starters scored in double figures. Assignment Player, Chris Boucher had a double-double 24 points and 13 rebounds. Jordan Loyd had 22 points and 5 rebounds. Josh Adams was just shy of the double-double with 17 points and 9 rebounds. MiKyle McIntosh scored 12 points and 8 rebounds. Duane Notice had 10 points on the night.
The Lakeland Swans are back at home tomorrow, March 23 for game two against the Raptors 905. Tip-off at the RP Funding Center is set for 7:00pm. The game will be available on Facebook Live. With tonight's win the Swans clinched the second seed and have a bye in the first round of the playoffs.
Lakeland Swans single game tickets and group tickets are available now. For ticket information, visit lkldswans.com or call 863.825.3258.
Troy Caupain 23 points, 9 rebounds, 11 assists
Melvin Frazier Jr. 21 points, 7 rebounds
Gabe York 20 points
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 22, 2019
- Hustle Drop Regular Season Finale at Landers Center - Memphis Hustle
- Blue Coats Drop High Scoring Contest to Nets - Delaware Blue Coats
- Lakeland Clinches First Round Bye in Comeback Win over 905 - Lakeland Magic
- Windy City Drops Second Consecutive Game, Loses 115-101 to Erie - Windy City Bulls
- Kings Sign Cody Demps to 10-Day Contract - Stockton Kings
- BayHawks Blow by Bulls - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Jump to 1st Place in Central Division with Big Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Stall in Grand Rapids - Canton Charge
- Golden State Warriors Assign Guard Jacob Evans III to Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers Acquire Daniel Hamilton - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stockton Kings Welcome NBA G League President Shareef Abdur-Rahim Saturday, March 23 - Stockton Kings
- San Antonio Recalls Lonnie Walker IV from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Shannon Scott to Miss Remainder of Season - Long Island Nets
- South Bay Falls to Stockton in Home Finale - South Bay Lakers
- Austin Spurs Fall to Sioux Falls Skyforce 116-111 - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakeland Magic Stories
- 400+ Local Students Participate in Magic 863 Reading Program
- Lakeland Magic Forward Amile Jefferson Named to All-NBA G League Third Team
- Lakeland Secures Appearance in Eastern Conference Finals
- Lakeland's Gabe York Receives 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award
- Lakeland Secures Round One Bye and Home Game in NBA G League Playoffs