Drive Jump to 1st Place in Central Division with Big Win
GRAND RAPIDS - Two-way player Kalin Lucas scored 31 points, giving him five consecutive 30-point outings, as the playoff-bound Grand Rapids Drive (27-22) defeated the Canton Charge (21-28) at home on Friday night by a final score of 133-102. The Drive outscored Canton 69-42 in the second half after leading by four at halftime. With tonight's win and Windy City's loss, the Drive have landed in 1st place in the Central Division with 1 game to go.
Isaiah Whitehead, the Drive's other two-way player, added 25 points for his fourth consecutive game scoring at least 24. Marcus Thornton added 15 points and three other Grand Rapids players recorded double-doubles. Adam Woodbury finished with 15 points and 14 rebounds, Johnny Hamilton had 12 points and 12 boards, and Todd Withers had 11 points and 15 rebounds to go with a game-high plus-minus rating of plus-34.
The visitors got a team-high 21 points from JaCorey Williams, 20 off the bench from Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman, and 17 points from Jaron Blossomgame. Deng Adel, Scoochie Smith and Levi Randolph were all in double figures as well.
The Drive shot 56 percent from the floor and 15-of-29 (52 percent) from three-point range, making rebounds scarce for Canton. The Charge pulled down 30 rebounds as a team while Grand Rapids compiled 51. The Drive also had 14 offensive rebounds, with Adam Woodbury's eight outdoing the Charge's team total of six.
Grand Rapids led by as many as 16 in the first quarter, but the Charge were able to battle back to a four-point deficit at the end of the first, and they also powered back from a 12-point deficit in the second quarter to again keep the lead at four. But the Drive were able to surge again in the third, and at this point the Charge were unable to answer. Canton never led by more than one point.
The Drive's final game of the regular season will be at Fort Wayne tomorrow, while the Charge will finish up in Windy City the same Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 22, 2019
- Hustle Drop Regular Season Finale at Landers Center - Memphis Hustle
- Blue Coats Drop High Scoring Contest to Nets - Delaware Blue Coats
- Lakeland Clinches First Round Bye in Comeback Win over 905 - Lakeland Magic
- Windy City Drops Second Consecutive Game, Loses 115-101 to Erie - Windy City Bulls
- Kings Sign Cody Demps to 10-Day Contract - Stockton Kings
- BayHawks Blow by Bulls - Erie BayHawks
- Drive Jump to 1st Place in Central Division with Big Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Charge Stall in Grand Rapids - Canton Charge
- Golden State Warriors Assign Guard Jacob Evans III to Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Rio Grande Valley Vipers Acquire Daniel Hamilton - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stockton Kings Welcome NBA G League President Shareef Abdur-Rahim Saturday, March 23 - Stockton Kings
- San Antonio Recalls Lonnie Walker IV from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Shannon Scott to Miss Remainder of Season - Long Island Nets
- South Bay Falls to Stockton in Home Finale - South Bay Lakers
- Austin Spurs Fall to Sioux Falls Skyforce 116-111 - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.