LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today that forward Carlos Vela was voted the Alcatel Major League Soccer Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) for the 33rd week of the 2018 MLS season.
Vela registered two goals and two assists in LAFC's 4-2 victory over the Houston Dynamo at Banc of California Stadium on Friday night. The Mexican National Team star has produced a team-high 13 goals and 12 assists this season, one of six players league wide to register double digits in each category.
With two games remaining, LAFC sits second in the Western Conference with 56 points (16-8-8 overall record), matching the MLS record for most points ever by an expansion team in its inaugural season.
Moments before halftime, Vela converted a penalty kick to bring LAFC even with Houston at 1-1 in the 44th minute. LAFC took a 2-1 lead in the 53rd minute when Vela crossed the ball from the left flank to a waiting Adama Diomande directly in front of goal, who easily finished with a close-range strike.
Vela notched his second assist to give LAFC a 3-1 lead in the 58th minute when sending a corner kick into the center of the box. Walker Zimmerman volleyed home a left-footed strike from near the penalty spot to the right side of goal. The forward capped a tremendous night with a chip over goalkeeper Tyler Deric from the top of the box to give LAFC a 4-1 advantage in the 78th minute. The performance was Vela's third multi-goal game and first multi-assist game in his first season in Major League Soccer.
LAFC returns to action on Sunday, October 21 when hosting Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Banc of California Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. PT on YouTube TV, UniMás 46, as well as the ESPN App and 980 AM.
The Alcatel MLS Player of the Week is chosen each week of the regular season by members of the North American Soccer Reporters. The organization includes print, television, radio and online journalists who cover domestic men's soccer in the United States and Canada. Learn more about the NASR and apply to join at https://www.facebook.com/soccerreporters/.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 16, 2018
- Aaron Long Earns First Career USMNT Cap - New York Red Bulls
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Orlando City SC - October 17, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City Hosts Seattle in Penultimate Home Game - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy to Host Fan Appreciation Day on October 28 at StubHub Center During Final MLS Regular Season Match - LA Galaxy
- BBVA Compass Stadium to Host FÃºtbol & Football Doubleheader on Saturday, November 17 - Houston Dynamo
- By the Numbers | International Play; Season Winding Down - Orlando City SC
- Statement from Colorado Rapids Owner E. Stanley Kroenke on the Passing of Paul Allen - Colorado Rapids
- Preview: Playoff-Bound Sporting KC Visits Vancouver on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Know Your Opponent | Seattle Sounders - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Recall Five Players from USL Loan - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Announces Events for Fan Appreciation Night - Minnesota United FC
- ESPN to Broadcast Chicago Fire at Atlanta United FC Match on Sunday - Chicago Fire
- ESPN to Air MLS Soccer Sunday Doubleheader on October 21 - MLS
- Philadelphia Union to Host College Clash eSports Tournament - Philadelphia Union
- Best in Show: Atlanta, Red Bulls Pursue Supporters' Shield Supremacy - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Signs Three Players Ahead of 2019 Season
- LAFC Named to Fast Company's Annual List of the World's Most Innovative Companies for 2019
- LAFC Acquires 23-Year-Old Goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega
- LAFC Drops 3-0 Contest against San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday Afternoon
- Banc of California Stadium to Host El Salvador vs. Guatemala on March 6