Aaron Long Earns First Career USMNT Cap
EAST HARTFORD, Conn. - New York Red Bulls starting center back Aaron Long made his debut for the United States Men's National Team against 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier Peru on Tuesday night at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field on the campus of UConn.
Long, who just turned 26 on Friday, started and played the full 90 in a 1-1 draw against Peru. The Oak Hills, California, native helped anchor a USMNT backline that allowed just three shots on goal. Long received his first call up to the USMNT during the September camp for international friendlies against Brazil and Mexico. He, however, was not part of the 18-man roster for either friendly.
Long joins fellow starting backline Red Bulls defenders Tim Parker, Kemar Lawrence (Jamaica) and Michael Amir Murillo (Panama) to play for their respective senior national team this season.
New York will return to action from the October FIFA window with a road match against the Philadelphia Union on Sunday at Talen Energy Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 3 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG, MSG GO and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish on TuneIn.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 16, 2018
- Aaron Long Earns First Career USMNT Cap - New York Red Bulls
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Orlando City SC - October 17, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City Hosts Seattle in Penultimate Home Game - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy to Host Fan Appreciation Day on October 28 at StubHub Center During Final MLS Regular Season Match - LA Galaxy
- BBVA Compass Stadium to Host FÃºtbol & Football Doubleheader on Saturday, November 17 - Houston Dynamo
- By the Numbers | International Play; Season Winding Down - Orlando City SC
- Statement from Colorado Rapids Owner E. Stanley Kroenke on the Passing of Paul Allen - Colorado Rapids
- Preview: Playoff-Bound Sporting KC Visits Vancouver on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Know Your Opponent | Seattle Sounders - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Recall Five Players from USL Loan - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Announces Events for Fan Appreciation Night - Minnesota United FC
- ESPN to Broadcast Chicago Fire at Atlanta United FC Match on Sunday - Chicago Fire
- ESPN to Air MLS Soccer Sunday Doubleheader on October 21 - MLS
- Philadelphia Union to Host College Clash eSports Tournament - Philadelphia Union
- Best in Show: Atlanta, Red Bulls Pursue Supporters' Shield Supremacy - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year
- New York Red Bulls Name Natasha Patel Head of Performance Analysis
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Lose on the Road to Montreal, Finish Sixth in the East
- Six New York Red Bulls in Action for October International Window
- Match Preview: New York Travels to Montreal for Decision Day, Presented by AT&T