MNUFC Announces Events for Fan Appreciation Night
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - On Sunday, October 21, Minnesota United will close out its two-year stint at TCF Bank Stadium with the final home game of the 2018 season against the visiting Los Angeles Galaxy, presented by Star Tribune, in front of 50,000 fans. The attendance for this Fan Appreciation Match is expected to break a 42-year-old record for a Minnesota soccer team set by the Kicks when they faced the San Jose Earthquakes in a Conference Final in front of 49,572 fans at Metropolitan stadium on August 25, 1976. To celebrate the record-breaking game and close out 2018 right, MNUFC has a wealth of special events and elements set up for the game, which kicks off at 4:00 p.m. CT. Come early and stay late for everything Minnesota United has planned.
"When we set out to break the attendance record for a Minnesota soccer team, we knew it wasn't just about the record, but about providing an experience that fans could remember forever," said MNUFC CEO Chris Wright. "We want fans to walk away from this week's game knowing they were part of something special and looking forward to next year in Allianz Field."
Before the game, fans can visit the Target Bullseye Fan Zone from noon to 3:30 p.m. and enjoy family friendly activities, free fall treats, free limited edition scarves and beanies while supplies last, music from DJ Advance and a soccer freestyle performance. There's also the Official Pre-Match Party at Surly Brewing beginning at 1:00 p.m. and culminating in a March to the Match with the supporters groups. There will also be a performance by local band Sawyer's Dream on the West Plaza and live DJs spinning music in the stadium. Whatever your pregame plan, be sure to get to the stadium early because of the large number of fans we're expecting.
The national anthem will be performed by a choir organized by VocalEssence and drawn from choirs at all levels from across the state, including elementary, high school, professional and church choirs. VocalEssence, whose motto is "Together We Sing," wants everyone in attendance to join the more than 200 singers. The coin toss prior to the start of the match will be performed by Itasca Society member Larry Zelle, who was at the Minnesota Kicks game in 1976 when the previous record was set.
Following the game there will be a fireworks display and a special presentation of Minnesota United's new home, Allianz Field, on the big board, plus a performance by Minnesota's own Har Mar Superstar on the West Plaza. Autographed and game-worn jerseys will be auctioned off later with proceeds to benefit charity.
Minnesota United encourages fans not to bring a bag. The following, however, are permitted:
One clear bag no larger than 12" x 6" x 12" or a one-gallon clear freezer bag (Ziploc or similar).
Guests may carry a small clutch bag or purse no larger than 6.5" x 4.5" (approximately the size of a hand), with or without a strap.
For your convenience, there will be a bag check located at Williams Arena across Oak Street from the west end of the stadium. There will be a fee for each bag.
For those who can't make it to the stadium, the game will be nationally broadcast on ESPN and there will be a comprehensive event stream on MNUFC.COM of all the postgame festivities.
With season tickets for 2019 already sold out, the best way to get in on the action at Allianz Field is to join The Preserve, the official Allianz Field waiting list. Join today and enjoy benefits now. For more information, visit MNUFC.COM.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 16, 2018
- Aaron Long Earns First Career USMNT Cap - New York Red Bulls
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Orlando City SC - October 17, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City Hosts Seattle in Penultimate Home Game - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy to Host Fan Appreciation Day on October 28 at StubHub Center During Final MLS Regular Season Match - LA Galaxy
- BBVA Compass Stadium to Host FÃºtbol & Football Doubleheader on Saturday, November 17 - Houston Dynamo
- By the Numbers | International Play; Season Winding Down - Orlando City SC
- Statement from Colorado Rapids Owner E. Stanley Kroenke on the Passing of Paul Allen - Colorado Rapids
- Preview: Playoff-Bound Sporting KC Visits Vancouver on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Know Your Opponent | Seattle Sounders - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Recall Five Players from USL Loan - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Announces Events for Fan Appreciation Night - Minnesota United FC
- ESPN to Broadcast Chicago Fire at Atlanta United FC Match on Sunday - Chicago Fire
- ESPN to Air MLS Soccer Sunday Doubleheader on October 21 - MLS
- Philadelphia Union to Host College Clash eSports Tournament - Philadelphia Union
- Best in Show: Atlanta, Red Bulls Pursue Supporters' Shield Supremacy - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.