BBVA Compass Stadium to Host FÃºtbol & Football Doubleheader on Saturday, November 17
HOUSTON - BBVA Compass Stadium will play host to a first-of-its-kind doubleheader on Saturday, November 17, stadium officials announced today. That afternoon, the stadium will host a friendly match between two of the most popular club sides in Mexico, followed by a Texas Southern University football game that evening.
The day will start with a friendly match between Liga MX powers Tigres UANL and UNAM Pumas at 2:00 p.m. CST. That match, brought to Houston in partnership with SPD Sports, will feature two clubs who have combined for 13 Liga MX championships and six Copa MX titles. That evening, the Texas Southern Tigers will play host to Arkansas-Pine Bluff at 7:30 p.m. for Senior Night.
Tickets for the Tigres-Pumas match will go on sale to the general public on Friday, October 19 at 10 a.m. CDT, with prices starting at $39. Houston Dynamo and Dash season ticket members will have an exclusive 48-hour presale opportunity beginning Wednesday, October 17 at 10 a.m.
Tigres' six championships and recent success have placed the team amongst the top teams in Liga MX. The Monterrey-based club is likely to feature stars such as French FW André-Pierre Gignac and Mexican internationals DF Jorge Torres Nilo and MF Jurgen Damm. Los Auriazules recent success includes winning Liga MX three times in the last three years and reaching the final of international tournaments Copa Libertadores and CONCACAF Champions League. Tigres will be returning to Houston for the fourth time in the last three years and second time this year. They played Chivas de Guadalajara at BBVA Compass Stadium on March 24.
Pumas returns to BBVA Compass Stadium for the first time in two years. They previously played Cruz Azul in Houston on November 13, 2016. The Mexico City-based club currently sit fourth in the Liga MX table in the 2018 Apertura season with a 6-2-4 (W-D-L) record on the year. Led by the combination of Chilean FW Nicolás Castillo and Mexican FW Carlos González, who have combined for 20 goals in 12 games, Los Pumas have one of Mexico's strongest attacking sides.
The Texas Southern University Tigers have played their home football games at BBVA Compass Stadium since the facility opened in 2012. Led by third-year head coach Michael Haywood, the Tigers feature a dynamic passing attack that has produced 13 touchdowns through the air, with two receivers each surpassing 400 yards and four touchdowns already on the year.
Tickets for all TSU home football games start at $18 and are available online at BBVACompassStadium.com, by phone at 713-547-3000 and at the stadium box office Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. as well as on game days.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 16, 2018
- Aaron Long Earns First Career USMNT Cap - New York Red Bulls
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Orlando City SC - October 17, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City Hosts Seattle in Penultimate Home Game - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy to Host Fan Appreciation Day on October 28 at StubHub Center During Final MLS Regular Season Match - LA Galaxy
- BBVA Compass Stadium to Host FÃºtbol & Football Doubleheader on Saturday, November 17 - Houston Dynamo
- By the Numbers | International Play; Season Winding Down - Orlando City SC
- Statement from Colorado Rapids Owner E. Stanley Kroenke on the Passing of Paul Allen - Colorado Rapids
- Preview: Playoff-Bound Sporting KC Visits Vancouver on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Know Your Opponent | Seattle Sounders - Orlando City SC
- Colorado Rapids Recall Five Players from USL Loan - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Announces Events for Fan Appreciation Night - Minnesota United FC
- ESPN to Broadcast Chicago Fire at Atlanta United FC Match on Sunday - Chicago Fire
- ESPN to Air MLS Soccer Sunday Doubleheader on October 21 - MLS
- Philadelphia Union to Host College Clash eSports Tournament - Philadelphia Union
- Best in Show: Atlanta, Red Bulls Pursue Supporters' Shield Supremacy - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Sign GK Cody Cropper
- BBVA Stadium Hosts Dynamo Fan Fest on Saturday, January 25
- Individual Tickets for All Houston Dynamo Home Matches on Sale Now
- Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park
- Houston Dynamo Academy Hosts Free Clinics Featuring World-Renowned Trainer Tom Byer