Komets Hold Second Place at All-Star Break
Fort Wayne, IN - The Komets completed week 15 of 2012-13 gaining two points in three games to maintain second place in the North Division of the ECHL going into week 16. The Komets are 22-19-2 for 46 points after 43 games and trail first-place Cincinnati by six points.
About last week -Wednesday the Komets won their second straight game 1-0 at Evansville with goaltender Kenny Reiter earning his second shutout of the season on 36 saves and pushing his win streak to a team high five games. It was also Reiter's sixth straight road win.
Friday Reiter saw his win streak snapped at five games in a 5-3 setback to Toledo at Fort Wayne. Forward Mike Hoban scored the Komets' first goal of the game to extend his goal-scoring streak to three games.
Saturday the Komets were clipped by the Wings at Kalamazoo 3-2 to finish at the All-Star Break riding a two-game winless string. Playing in their fifth straight game since being called up from Dayton of the FHL, defenseman Nick Wheeler posted his first pro goal and forward John Dunbar netted his second.
The week ahead -ECHL players will take a break for the All-Star Game Wednesday before getting back on the ice Thursday in preparation for games ahead. The Komets have one game this week in Evansville Saturday at 8:15pm. The next Komet home games will be Friday, Feb. 1 against the Kalamazoo Wings at 8pm and Saturday, Feb. 2 vs. the Cincinnati Cyclones at 7:30pm.
Komet leaders of the week -Brett Smith (C) scored a goal and added two assists for a three-point week, finishing on a three-game point streak. Netminder Reiter won both of his appearances, each lasting extra time for a total of 128:35 (2.14 GP) and allowed three goals for a 1.40 goals-against average and stopped 73 of 76 shots for a .924 save percentage for the week.
Leaders of the pack -Brandon Marino (RW) continues to lead the Komets with 35 assists and 47 points.....J.M. Rizk (RW) leads with 15 goals.....Daniel Maggio (D) leads with 134 penalty minutes....Kenny Reiter leads with 2.84 goals-against average and .913 save percentage.
Milestones -Smith skated his 100th ECHL career game (regular season and playoffs) Wednesday at Evansville....Eric Giosa (C) appeared in his 200th pro game (regular season) Friday vs Toledo.
By the numbers -The Komets are 9-0-0 when leading after the first period, 12-2-1 when taking the lead into the third period and 5-0-0 when holding the opponent to less than 25 shots. Friday's 5-3 home loss to Toledo was the only the third time in 21 games this season when the Komets scored three or more goals in a game and didn't win (18-3-0). The Komets are 14-2-2 in one-goal games and 9-2 in one-goal games ending in regulation after Saturday's 3-2 loss at Kalamazoo.
Iron man -Defenseman Tyler Butler, skating his 10th pro season, has appeared in all 43 Komet games to date. Butler also played in all 66 regular season games for Arizona last season in the CHL.
Teaming with the All-Stars -Defenseman Daniel Maggio will represent the Komets this Wednesday at the ECHL All-Star Game at the Budweiser Events Center in Loveland, Colorado, home of the ECHL's Colorado Eagles. It will be Maggio's first appearance in an All-Star Game. The rookie made his pro debut last season with the Komets skating all 15 playoff games en route to the 2012 CHL Presidents' Cup Championship. Maggio currently leads Fort Wayne defensemen with five goals and 16 points after 39 games.
Klotz returned to Fort Wayne -Forward Garrett Klotz has been reassigned to Fort Wayne by AHL affiliate Norfolk Admirals. Klotz, 24, has skated two games with the Admirals accumulating two penalty minutes. The Regina, Saskatchewan native is a fifth-year pro and has previously seen action this year in 17 games with the Komets scoring two goals and four points with 48 penalty minutes.
KOMETS ON ICE THIS WEEK-
- Saturday Komets at Evansville IceMen (16-23-4, 36 points), 8:15pm ET- The Komets will play their only game of the week on the road at Evansville Saturday at 8:15pm ET. The Komets clipped the IceMen in last week's game at the Ford Center 1-0, the last meeting between the two teams. This Saturday's match will be the seventh of 11 meetings this year. The Komets lead the season series 4-2-0 and are 2-1-0 after three visits to Evansville. The IceMen will visit Cincinnati Friday before hosting the Komets Saturday. The Komets are 12-7-2 on the road while Evansville is 11-14-0 when playing at home.
Hottest ticket in town-- Single game tickets and season tickets are on sale. Single game tickets can be purchased at the Coliseum Ticket Office and online at www.ticketMaster.com . Season tickets are on sale at the Komet office, 1010 Memorial Way, Fort Wayne. For information visit www.komets.com, or call 260-483-0011.
Komets.com -Check out the official Komet team website at www.komets.com featuring an interactive calendar of the Komets' schedule, info on all Komet events as well as home and road games. Komets.com also features an on-line team store. Fans are able to download and access photo galleries, player information, video, audio and other multi-media features as well as follow Komet gamecasts live and much more.
Komet Hockey worldwide at Xfinity KometCast - Legendary broadcaster Bob Chase celebrates his 60th anniversary season calling Komet hockey radio-rinkside. Hear Komet Hockey worldwide at Xfinity KometCast at www.komets.com . Games are also scheduled to be broadcast on WOWO Radio AM 1190 and FM 92.3.
INC Soundoff with the Komets Monday nights -- The Komets, Indiana's News Center and title sponsor PHP present a live weekly televised sports program on Monday nights at 7:30 on WPTA TV 21 Alive. The half-hour show is televised from the WPTA TV studios each week with INC's Tommy Schoegler as host and features highlights, interviews and call-ins as Komet players and personnel serve as co-hosts. Tonight, Jan. 21, Komet head coach Al Sims will be Tommy's guest.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 21, 2013
- Aces Pick up Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss in Vegas - Alaska Aces
- Special Teams Lift Wranglers 3-2 over League-Leading Aces - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Reign Edge Condors 2-1 in Overtime - Ontario Reign
- Boyd Scores Late as Condors Earn Point against Ontario in 2-1 Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- 7,238 Fans See Idaho Hold On - Utah Grizzlies
- Orlando Sweeps Wheeling with 2-1 Shootout Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Nailers Earn Point in Orlando - Wheeling Nailers
- Idaho Escapes Utah with 5-3 Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Radio Recon to Take the All-Star Breather this Week - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - January 21 - ECHL
- Jackals De-Throne the Royals - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL this Week - January 21 - ECHL
- Gladiators Fall to Greenville, 4-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- MeiGray Auctions ECHL All-Star Game-Worn Jerseys, Game-Used Pucks and Game-Worn Helmets - ECHL
- Road Warriors Cruise to 4-1 Win over Gladiators - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Lineups Announced for ECHL All-Star Skills Competition - ECHL
- IceMen Announce Game Date Change in Schedule - Evansville IceMen
- Colorado Eagles Weekly Update - Colorado Eagles
- Aces Sign B.J. Crum, Get Wrenn Back from AHL - Alaska Aces
- Weekly Warrior - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Wheeling Nailers - January 21 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hold Second Place at All-Star Break - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Camera Fan, Pack the House Night and Kid's Day Highlight Upcoming Weekend for Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - January 21 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Komets Stories
- Komets Gain Four Points for Week 14; Wings Return Wednesday, Hanson Brothers Here Friday
- Forward Matthew Weis Assigned to Komets, Fucale Reassigned to Chicago
- Fort Wayne's Joe Franke Named All-Star Equipment Manager
- Komet Zach Fucale Snares ECHL Goaltender of the Week
- Komets Forward Justin Hodgman Tagged ECHL All Star