Komets Chip IceMen 4-3 in OT
Fort Wayne, IN. | Wednesday, March 2, 2011 -- The Komets escaped with a 4-3 overtime victory over the visiting Evansville IceMen Wednesday night at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne. The K's only had the lead once in the game but it was when it mattered most.
Evansville took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission after Braden Desmet beat Fort Wayne's Kevin Reiter on a break-away at 3:04 for the only tally of the initial period. Fort Wayne's Derek Patrosso jump started the second frame at the :18 mark to pull the Komets even at 1-1. The IceMen answered with Desmet's second marker of the night at 11:54 before the Komets' Danny Lapointe scored the equalizer at 18:51 for a 2-2 tie at the end of two.
The leap-frog style scoring continued in the third period with Evansville's Mark Cody hitting the net at 1:07 only to be followed by Fort Wayne with Colin Chaulk's eighth of the season at 9:45 to finish the scoring in regulation and send the game into overtime.
The Komets needed all of the extra time to capture the win with Leo Thomas netting the game winner with 1.4 seconds remaining in overtime for a Fort Wayne win.
Defenseman Mike Ratchuk, skating his first game back with the Komets after being reassigned to Fort Wayne from the AHL's Springfield Falcons, dished a pair of assists to earn first star honors.
Reiter earned his 10th win of the season making 22 saves while the Komets directed a team season-high 48 shots at Evansville's Matt Lundin who registered his 18th loss of the year on 44 saves.
The Komets improved to 26-22-5 for 57 points and trail fourth-place Missouri in the Turner Conference by seven points in the push for home ice advantage in the playoffs with 13 games remaining.
The Komets will travel to Bloomington for an 8:05pm ET faceoff Friday before visiting Evansville for an 8:45pm ET start at Swonder Arena Saturday. The Komets will return home to welcome the IceMen again Sunday for a 5pm matinee at the Coliseum.
All Komet action can be heard on Fort Wayne radio WOWO AM 1190 and online at www.komets.com Xfinity KometCast.
Tickets for all Komet home games are on sale at the Coliseum Ticket Office and online at www.ticketmaster.com. The Komets offer discounts on group tickets sold at the Komet office at 1010 Memorial Way. For more information visit the Komet office, call 260-483-0011 or visit the Komets' website at www.komets.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2011
- Sundogs Top RiverKings, 4-1, in First-Ever Meeting - Arizona Sundogs
- Americans March Past Bugs, 5-3 - Allen Americans
- Arizona Handles Mississippi 4-1 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Komets Chip IceMen 4-3 in OT - Fort Wayne Komets
- Brown Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Allen Keeps Firm Grip on #1 Spot on Yellowbook CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- Sundogs Adjust Roster, Add Defenseman Matt Frick and Goaltender Michel Robinson - Arizona Sundogs
- Game Day - RiverKings at Arizona - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks to Host Job Fair March 11th - Laredo Bucks
- Yellow Horn Extends Point Streak to 12 in Americans 5-2 Loss to Bucks - Allen Americans
- Oilers Double up Rush 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Odessa Throttles Texas in 7-3 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Komets Stories
- Komets Ink Two-Time Kelly Cup Champ St. Amant
- Komets Trade Campagna Rights to Norfolk; Three Ink Tryout Agreements
- Jenks Joins Komets
- Kamrass Re-Signs with Komets; Levac Inks Tryout Agreement
- Komets Add Pair of Leading Defensemen; Martin, Galipeau Agree to Terms