Americans March Past Bugs, 5-3
ALLEN, Texas- The Allen Americans defeated the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs tonight, 5-3 in front of 3,149 at the Allen Event Center. The victory moves the Americans to 39-12-2 for the season, 17 points ahead of second place Texas.
In the first period, James DeLory scored at 6:55 on a third-chance rebound opportunity to give the 'Bugs a 1-0 lead. Americans Goaltender Chris Whitley came up with saves on the initial Brett Smith shot, and then on the Justin Aikins rebound chance, before DeLory was finally able to convert.
At 10:17 of the period, David Rutherford scored on a wrister to make it 2-0 Bossier-Shreveport, which would stand through the end of the period.
At the start of the second period, Allen got on the board when Liam Huculak slid a pass through which was deflected in by David Nimmo. For Nimmo, it was his 100th career goal as a professional.
Travis Clayton answered for the Mudbugs just over three minutes later to restore their two-goal lead at 3-1.
Colton Yellow Horn was able to bring the Americans back to within one at 8:33 of the second, grabbing the puck on a shorthanded break-away and making a dazzling move to extend his point streak to 13 games. Still in the second, Jonathan Zion scored on a slap shot from the point on a power play to tie the game at 3.
Late in the period, the Americans scored their fourth goal of the second frame, when Judd Blackwater took a dazzling pass from Dave Bonk and scored on the backhand at 18:39. The Blackwater goal also came on the power play, and gave Allen a 4-3 lead; their first of the game.
A few minutes into the third period, Judd Blackwater and Jim Jorgensen dropped the mitts and fireworks quickly ensued. Blackwater knocked Jorgensen to his knees with a quick left, and once Jorgensen regained his footing, Blackwater followed with a right hand which ended the fight, and sent Jorgensen to the locker room.
With just five seconds remaining in the game, Jarrett Lukin scored on the empty net at the opposite end to give Allen a 5-3 win; the 5th win in the last 6 games for the Americans.
The Americans will now hit the road to face the Texas Brahmas on Friday night, and the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs on Saturday night, before returning home Sunday afternoon to take on the Odessa Jackalopes at 2 PM.
Fans are encouraged to visit Boston's: The Gourmet Pizza on 121 in McKinney for all away game watching parties.
Tickets to Sunday's game can be purchased via Ticketmaster, www.allenamericans.com, or at the Allen Event Center Box Office. For More information, call 972-912-1000.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2011
- Sundogs Top RiverKings, 4-1, in First-Ever Meeting - Arizona Sundogs
- Americans March Past Bugs, 5-3 - Allen Americans
- Arizona Handles Mississippi 4-1 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Komets Chip IceMen 4-3 in OT - Fort Wayne Komets
- Brown Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Allen Keeps Firm Grip on #1 Spot on Yellowbook CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- Sundogs Adjust Roster, Add Defenseman Matt Frick and Goaltender Michel Robinson - Arizona Sundogs
- Game Day - RiverKings at Arizona - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks to Host Job Fair March 11th - Laredo Bucks
- Yellow Horn Extends Point Streak to 12 in Americans 5-2 Loss to Bucks - Allen Americans
- Oilers Double up Rush 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Odessa Throttles Texas in 7-3 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.