Odessa Throttles Texas in 7-3 Win
ODESSA, TX - Todd Robinson's 800th career assist and Jeff Pierce's two-goal night highlighted a seven-goal outburst for the Odessa Jackalopes in their 7-3 win over the Texas Brahmas on Tuesday night at the Ector County Coliseum. Along with Pierce and Robinson, four other Odessa players finished with multi-point games.
The win was Odessa's (23-24-6) third straight as the Jacks pulled to within one point of fifth-place Mississippi in the Central Hockey League's Berry Conference.
An awkward situation developed 48 seconds into the game when the lights in the building shut off, halting play for a brief period of time. Once play resumed, the Brahmas (29-18-5) jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead from goals by Chad Woollard and Dylan Stanley in the game's opening five minutes.
The Jackalopes began a run of seven unanswered goals after that point, starting with Pierce at 8:33 off his own rebound, then Kenny Corupe on a loose puck in front at 9:21 to knot the game at 2-2 after the first period. Corupe finished with three points on the night scoring a goal and two assists.
Pierce scored again early into the second period, then Kevin Seibel added his third of the season to make it a 4-2 lead for Odessa 7:43 into the frame. At that point Brahmas goaltender, Wayne Savage, was lifted from the game for back-up Scott Reid. Savage had allowed just five goals in four appearances against Odessa all season, before giving up four in tonight's contest.
The offense continued for the Jacks in period three as Kevin Jarman, Sebastien Thinel, and Darryl Bootland all scored. Stanley added one more on the power play for Texas in the game's final minutes.
Thinel's third period goal is where Robinson recorded his milestone assist as part of a three-point game. Jarman's strike was his first of the season since joining the Jackalopes in mid-February. Mike Ramsay and Mark Ehl also finished with two points in the contest for the Jacks.
David McKee won this third straight start with 28 saves on the night.
The Jackalopes wrap up their homestand with a pair of games against the Tulsa Oilers before traveling to Allen for a Sunday matinee. Friday's game is set for 7:05 PM CST. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2011
- Sundogs Top RiverKings, 4-1, in First-Ever Meeting - Arizona Sundogs
- Americans March Past Bugs, 5-3 - Allen Americans
- Arizona Handles Mississippi 4-1 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Komets Chip IceMen 4-3 in OT - Fort Wayne Komets
- Brown Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Allen Keeps Firm Grip on #1 Spot on Yellowbook CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- Sundogs Adjust Roster, Add Defenseman Matt Frick and Goaltender Michel Robinson - Arizona Sundogs
- Game Day - RiverKings at Arizona - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks to Host Job Fair March 11th - Laredo Bucks
- Yellow Horn Extends Point Streak to 12 in Americans 5-2 Loss to Bucks - Allen Americans
- Oilers Double up Rush 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Odessa Throttles Texas in 7-3 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.