Yellow Horn Extends Point Streak to 12 in Americans 5-2 Loss to Bucks
LAREDO, Texas- The first place Allen Americans fell to the Laredo Bucks 5-2 in front of 3,521 at the Laredo Energy Arena in Laredo, TX tonight.
The Americans found themselves down 2-0 after twenty minutes of play despite outshooting the Bucks 15-9. Brian Matte's one-timer from just in front of the crease beat Chris Whitley and put the Bucks up 1-0 6:50 into the frame, followed by another strike from Matte on the power play at 13:26 that extended Laredo's lead to 2-0.
Allencontinued to apply pressure early in the second period and finally cashed in 1:48 into the frame, when Nino Musitelli's wrister from the left faceoff circlefoiled Pier Pelletier to cut the Bucks lead to 2-1. The goal was Musitelli's twenty-sixth of the season.
The Bucks restored their two goal lead 12:44 into theperiod when Reid Edmondson buried Hans Bensons feed from the corner into the back of net. Whitley finished the middle frame with 8 saves on 9 shots while Pelletier stopped 9 of 10.
The third period saw the Americans trim the Bucks lead to 3-2 7:52 into the frame when Jonathon Zion's blast on the power play found it's way through traffic and into the back of the net. Colton Yellow Horn and Bruce Graham were credited with the assists on the play.
Laredo forward Daniel Koger's tallywith 8:51 remaining in regulation extended the Bucks lead to 4-2, followed by an empty-net goal from Joe Scali with 0:56 remaining that put the Bucks up by 3 and ended the Americans hopes of a comeback.
Colton Yellow Horn extendedhis point streak totwelve games withan assist on Zion's thirdperiod goal. Yellow Horn has now notched 17 points (9g, 8a) during the streak.
Allendropsto 38-12-2 with thelossbut continues to lead the Berry Conference by 15 points over the second place Texas Brahmas.
The Americans will now return home to the Allen Event Center for a 7:30 PM faceoff tomorrow night against the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs. Tickets are available by calling 972-912-1000 or by visiting www.ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 2, 2011
- Sundogs Top RiverKings, 4-1, in First-Ever Meeting - Arizona Sundogs
- Americans March Past Bugs, 5-3 - Allen Americans
- Arizona Handles Mississippi 4-1 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Komets Chip IceMen 4-3 in OT - Fort Wayne Komets
- Brown Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Allen Keeps Firm Grip on #1 Spot on Yellowbook CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- Sundogs Adjust Roster, Add Defenseman Matt Frick and Goaltender Michel Robinson - Arizona Sundogs
- Game Day - RiverKings at Arizona - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks to Host Job Fair March 11th - Laredo Bucks
- Yellow Horn Extends Point Streak to 12 in Americans 5-2 Loss to Bucks - Allen Americans
- Oilers Double up Rush 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Odessa Throttles Texas in 7-3 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allen Americans Stories
- Americans Add Top-Two Defenseman Turner Ottenbreit
- Riley Gill's #30 to be Retired December 19th
- Allen Americans Build Marketing Unit with Tyler Vertin & Casey Rusnak
- Americans Welcome Back Former Kelly Cup Winner Dyson Stevenson
- Goalie CJ Motte Returns to Allen After a Season in Europe