Kernels fall to Chiefs, 6-2, as Taylor spins complete game
Peoria starting pitcher Scott Taylor (7-6) scattered six hits while giving up only two runs with six strikeouts as the Cedar Rapids Kernels dropped their second straight game to the Peoria Chiefs, 6-2, on Wednesday night at O'Brien Field.
The Kernels couldn't take advantage of three Peoria errors and the fact that four of their six hits were doubles. Dallas Morris was the only Kernel with more than one hit, going 2-4 on the night.
Amalio Diaz made his first start for the Kernels, pitching three innings and giving up six hits and two runs while under a strict pitch count. Brok Butcher (2-1) pitched four innings of relief, giving up seven hits and four runs (three earned) with five strikeouts. Mike Pete and Tim Didjurgis combined to pitch a scoreless inning.
The loss drops the Kernels to 18-21 in the MWL Western Division as Peoria moved back to the .500 mark at 20-20.
Robinsion Chirinos was a home run shy of hitting for the cycle as he went 3-4 with 3 RBI on the night.
The Kernels will rely on Robert Mosebach (8-6) to help them get back on the winning track Thursday night. Game time is 7 pm and can be heard on the internet at www.kernels.com
The Kernels return home on Saturday, August 5th for an eight game home series with Lansing and Wisconsin.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 3, 2006
- Cortes fans nine in win over Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts turn tables on Swing - Lansing Lugnuts
- No Moore losing streak for the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit snaps two game skid - Beloit Snappers
- Hawks drowned by Whitecaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Turnabout fair play as Lansing rallies late for win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Former Dragon shuts down Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs make it three straight with 7-3 win - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot hitting returns in blowout of South Bend - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cougars and Devil Rays Rained Out - Kane County Cougars
- Devil Rays Game Postponed - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Swing add two new promotions to lineup - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels fall to Chiefs, 6-2, as Taylor spins complete game - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.