Lugnuts turn tables on Swing
LANSING - The Lansing Lugnuts scored three runs in the eighth inning Thursday night to take a 6-4 win over the Swing of the Quad Cities before 4,996 fans at Oldsmobile Park. The win is the first one of the series for Lansing.
With the score tied 3-3 in the eighth, the Lugnuts' Josh Bell singled and moved to third on two wild pitches. After Brian Bormaster drew a walk, Zack Kalter reached on a fielder's choice that saw Quad Cities shortstop Tyler Greene drop a throw that could have marked an inning ending double play. Bell scored on the play and the Lugnuts took the 4-3 lead.
Yuber Rodriguez, who was pinch running for Bormaster, would score later in the frame on a passed ball to make it 5-3. Anthony Garibaldi then bounced a single into right field to plate Kalter to make it 6-3.
The Swing's Mark Hamilton homered in the ninth, but Lansing's Sean Stidfole nailed down the save for the Lugnuts.
Lansing had taken a 3-2 lead in the fourth inning. Kalter singled home Bell to knot the score at 2-2. Bormaster would score from second base on the next play when Anthony Garibaldi reached on an error by Casey Rowlett. The run gave the Lugnuts a 3-2 lead.
The Swing jumped out early with two runs in the first inning. Rowlett had an RBI double into left-center field and later scored on a Tyler Greene single to make it 2-0.
Adrian Martin (6-1) got the win for the Lugnuts, tossing three innings of hitless baseball. He did allow one unearned run.
Jason Cairns (2-4) took the loss for the Swing, allowing two runs in 2 1/3 innings. Only one of the runs were earned.
Lansing (57-51, 17-24) and the Swing (57-51, 23-17) will complete the series on Friday night. Kristian Bell (6-6, 3.88) will start for the Lugnuts, while Adam Daniels (7-8, 3.01) will take the hill for the Swing. First pitch is set for 7:05 with LAFCU Fireworks to follow the game.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 3, 2006
- Cortes fans nine in win over Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts turn tables on Swing - Lansing Lugnuts
- No Moore losing streak for the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit snaps two game skid - Beloit Snappers
- Hawks drowned by Whitecaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Turnabout fair play as Lansing rallies late for win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Former Dragon shuts down Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs make it three straight with 7-3 win - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot hitting returns in blowout of South Bend - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cougars and Devil Rays Rained Out - Kane County Cougars
- Devil Rays Game Postponed - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Swing add two new promotions to lineup - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels fall to Chiefs, 6-2, as Taylor spins complete game - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.