Hot hitting returns in blowout of South Bend
SOUTH BEND, IN - Following a loss on Wednesday to end a six game winning streak the Whitecaps rebounded with nine runs in the first four innings of a 9-3 victory in South Bend. West Michigan has won 13 of its last 15 games.
Three different Whitecaps had three hits each: Matt Joyce delivered a three-run triple in the second inning and was 3-for-5. Mike Hernandez hit a two-run homer in the fourth (his 11th) to finish 3-for-5 and Pedro Cotto was 3-for-5 with three runs scored.
Erik Averill pitched six innings for the Whitecaps with three runs allowed on five hits to earn the victory.
Adam Howard started the game for South Bend and took the loss to fall to 6-3. Howard threw just three innings and gave up seven runs on 10 hits. It was his second loss of the year against West Michigan.
The Whitecaps hammered out 16 hits in the game, which is two short of a season high. All but three of the hits were in the fourth inning or earlier.
Maybin Watch: Detroit Tigers 2005 first round pick Cameron Maybin has shined this season in centerfield for the Whitecaps. Below are his latest stats:
Thursday at South Bend; Did not play
Season: .327, 16 2B, 5 3B, 6 HR, 53 RBI, 25 SB.
At Last, the End: West Michigan concludes its eight game road trip on Thursday in South Bend. RHP Burke Badenhop (11-2, 2.92) is scheduled to pitch for the Whitecaps against Silver Hawks RHP Anthony Cupps (7-4, 4.82). First pitch is slated for 7:00 p.m. The Whitecaps Pre Game Show begins at 6:50 p.m. prior to each game on 1340 AM WBBL and at wbbl.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 3, 2006
- Cortes fans nine in win over Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Lugnuts turn tables on Swing - Lansing Lugnuts
- No Moore losing streak for the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Beloit snaps two game skid - Beloit Snappers
- Hawks drowned by Whitecaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Turnabout fair play as Lansing rallies late for win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Former Dragon shuts down Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs make it three straight with 7-3 win - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot hitting returns in blowout of South Bend - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cougars and Devil Rays Rained Out - Kane County Cougars
- Devil Rays Game Postponed - Southwest Michigan Devil Rays
- Swing add two new promotions to lineup - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels fall to Chiefs, 6-2, as Taylor spins complete game - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.