Kalamazoo Named Host City of 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week
Kalamazoo, Mich. - The Kalamazoo Wings have been named hosts of the 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week presented by PNC Bank and Bronson Hospital, the team announced in conjunction with the ECHL on Thursday. The event is set to take place February 1-6 at Wings Event Center and throughout the city of Kalamazoo.
"Hockey Heritage Week is the showcase event for the ECHL during the upcoming season," said Brian McKenna, ECHL commissioner. "We are proud to bring the event and all the surrounding festivities to Kalamazoo and west Michigan. Given the hockey history and tradition that exists in the community, the location is a perfect match."
With 42 years of professional hockey history, recent investments in the facilities and community, and a clear vision moving forward, the theme for the 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week presented by PNC Bank and Bronson Hospital will be Past, Present & Future.
"We've been a staple of the community for nearly a half-century," K-Wings director of sales Toni Daniels said. "Moving forward, there's certainly no signs of slowing down. The best is yet to come," she added. "We're honored to play host to this amazing event."
February 5 will be represented by the Past and Present, with highlights of the day featuring exhibits from the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, Ontario, alumni reunions, welcoming the ECHL Board of Governors, the 9th annual Hall of Fame Luncheon, and special throwback jerseys for the game at 7 p.m. against the Toledo Walleye.
As the theme transitions to the Future for February 6, part of the day will showcase the stars of tomorrow, as the K-Wings will team up with KOHA for a youth hockey showcase in the morning and early afternoon. KOHA has spent 50 years as the premier youth hockey organization in southwest Michigan, and has been recognized as a USA Hockey Model Association.
"The Kalamazoo Optimist Hockey Association (KOHA) is excited to be a part of Hockey Heritage Week," said KOHA operations director Frank Noonan. "Having just celebrated our association's 50th Anniversary, allowing KOHA players and families the opportunity to take part in a weekend so rich with hockey tradition is truly an honor."
The youth hockey showcase will give way to the second game of the weekend series between the K-Wings and Walleye, with both Kalamazoo and Toledo debuting special "futuristic" CCM jerseys, created exclusively for Hockey Heritage Week.
Other highlights of CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week presented by PNC Bank and Bronson Hospital:
- Stanley Cup and Kelly Cup tour of Kalamazoo and surrounding area
- Representatives from all 28 ECHL teams in attendance
- NHL trophies, exhibits and games from the Hockey Hall of Fame
- Special fan interactions with players, coaches and alumni
- Hockey Heritage merchandise available for purchase
- Exclusive ticket packages
Single-game tickets go on sale September 14. Tickets can be purchased at kwings.com or at the Wings Event Center box office. Box office hours are Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
For the official 2015-16 K-Wings season schedule, visit kwings.com. Season tickets for the 2015-16 season are available through the K-Wings front office by calling (269) 743-6011. For more information about the K-Wings and Wings Event Center, please contact Joe Roberts at (269) 226-0394.
Wings Event Center, owned and operated by Greenleaf Hospitality Group, is home to the minor league hockey team Kalamazoo Wings and a full entertainment venue offering concerts, sporting events, family shows and trade shows. Built in 1974, Wings Event Center values partnerships with the community to bring events and attractions that enrich the lives of residents in the Kalamazoo area.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from September 10, 2015
- IceMen Hosting Free Agent Camp this Weekend in Evansville - Evansville IceMen
- Construction Forces Aces/SMG Race to Goose Lake - Alaska Aces
- Single Game Tickets Go on Sale Friday, September 18th - Colorado Eagles
- Atlanta Gladiators Single Game Tickets Now on Sale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Sign Cody Freeman - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans to Participate in Third Annual Chase for the Cup Triathlon this Weekend - Allen Americans
- Mallards Open Training Camp October 2 - Quad City Mallards
- From Italy to Aces...Traversa Signs Contract - Alaska Aces
- John-Scott Dickson Accepts Assistant Coaching Position for 2015-16 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Ehrhardt Returns - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Sign Returner DeBlois and Goalie Dekanich - South Carolina Stingrays
- All-Star Defenseman Bowman Back in Eagles Fold - Colorado Eagles
- Full Season Ticket Holder Celebration and Player Meet & Greet Set - Reading Royals
- Kalamazoo Named Host City for 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week - ECHL
- Walleye to Participate in 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week in Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Kalamazoo Named Host City of 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Sign Scoring Threat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- "Welcome to HoKCey Town" - Missouri Mavericks Unveil New Brand Campaign - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Power Play Scores for Third Straight Game as K-Wings Fall 4-1
- Game Day: Playoff Hockey Returns to Wings Event Center
- Wings Weekly: Playoff Hockey at Wings Event Center, Anselmini Reassigned
- Hildebrand Stops 31 as K-Wings Blank Cyclones, Even Series
- Game Day: Game Two Saturday Night in Cincy