Kalamazoo Named Host City for 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week
September 10, 2015 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - The ECHL announced on Thursday that the Kalamazoo Wings have been named the hosts of the 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week presented by PNC Bank and Bronson Hospital. The event is set to take place Feb. 1-6, 2016 at Wings Event Center and throughout the city of Kalamazoo.
"Hockey Heritage Week is the showcase event for the ECHL during the upcoming season," ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna said. "We are proud to bring the event and all the surrounding festivities to Kalamazoo and western Michigan. Given the hockey history and tradition that exists in the community, the location is a perfect match."
With 42 years of professional hockey history, recent investments in the facilities and community and a clear vision moving forward, the theme for the 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week presented by PNC Bank and Bronson Hospital in Kalamazoo will be Past, Present & Future.
"We've been a staple of the community for nearly a half-century," K-Wings Director of Sales Toni Daniels said. "Moving forward, there's certainly no signs of slowing down. The best is yet to come and we are honored to play host to this amazing event."
Friday, Feb. 5 will be represented by the Past and Present, with highlights of the day featuring exhibits from the Hockey Hall of Fame, alumni reunions, welcoming the ECHL Board of Governors, the 2016 ECHL Hall of Fame Luncheon and special throwback jerseys for the K-Wings game against Toledo at 7 p.m.
As the theme transitions to the Future for Saturday, Feb. 6, part of the day will showcase the stars of tomorrow as the K-Wings will team up with the Kalamazoo Optimist Hockey Association for a youth hockey showcase in the morning and early afternoon. KOHA has spent 50 years as the premier youth hockey organization in southwest Michigan, and has been recognized as a USA Hockey Model Association.
"The Kalamazoo Optimist Hockey Association is excited to be a part of Hockey Heritage Week," KOHA operations director Frank Noonan said. "Having just celebrated our association's 50th Anniversary, allowing KOHA players and families the opportunity to take part in a weekend so rich with hockey tradition is truly an honor."
The youth hockey showcase will give way to the second game of the weekend series between the K-Wings and Walleye, with both teams debuting special "futuristic" CCM jerseys, created exclusively for Hockey Heritage Week.
Other highlights of CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week presented by PNC Bank and Bronson Hospital:
- Stanley Cup and Kelly Cup tour of Kalamazoo and the surrounding area
- Representatives from all 28 ECHL teams in attendance
- NHL trophies, exhibits and games from the Hockey Hall of Fame
- Special fan interactions with players, coaches and alumni
- Hockey Heritage merchandise available for purchase
- Exclusive ticket packages
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from September 10, 2015
- IceMen Hosting Free Agent Camp this Weekend in Evansville - Evansville IceMen
- Construction Forces Aces/SMG Race to Goose Lake - Alaska Aces
- Single Game Tickets Go on Sale Friday, September 18th - Colorado Eagles
- Atlanta Gladiators Single Game Tickets Now on Sale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Sign Cody Freeman - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans to Participate in Third Annual Chase for the Cup Triathlon this Weekend - Allen Americans
- Mallards Open Training Camp October 2 - Quad City Mallards
- From Italy to Aces...Traversa Signs Contract - Alaska Aces
- John-Scott Dickson Accepts Assistant Coaching Position for 2015-16 Season - Kansas City Mavericks
- Ehrhardt Returns - Rapid City Rush
- Stingrays Sign Returner DeBlois and Goalie Dekanich - South Carolina Stingrays
- All-Star Defenseman Bowman Back in Eagles Fold - Colorado Eagles
- Full Season Ticket Holder Celebration and Player Meet & Greet Set - Reading Royals
- Kalamazoo Named Host City for 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week - ECHL
- Walleye to Participate in 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week in Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Kalamazoo Named Host City of 2016 CCM/ECHL Hockey Heritage Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Sign Scoring Threat - Cincinnati Cyclones
- "Welcome to HoKCey Town" - Missouri Mavericks Unveil New Brand Campaign - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.