K-Wings Weekly: Orange Ice and Nickelodeon on Saturday Night
Kalamazoo, MI. - The Kalamazoo Wings (2-1-0-0) are looking to build off of a two-game sweep of the Ft. Wayne Komets as they head into a home-and-home set with the Cincinnati Cyclones this weekend.
Fri., Oct. 19 - Wings vs. Ft. Wayne, W, 2-1
Sat., Oct. 20 - Wings at Ft. Wayne, W, 5-3
Fri., Oct. 26 - Wings at Cincinnati, 7:35pm
Sat., Oct. 27 - Wings vs. Cincinnati, 7:30pm
Nickelodeon and Orange Ice:
Everything turns orange on Saturday night for the annual Orange Ice night, as the K-Wings host the Cincinnati Cyclones. Saturday will also be Nickelodeon Night as the K-Wings will wear Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Jerseys, which will be auctioned off after the game on the ice. In addition fans will be able to meet the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, trick-or-treat on the concourse, or participate in a first intermission costume contest.
Down to the Wire:
Both Friday and Saturday night the K-Wings and Komets were tied late in the third period. Friday night Kyle Thomas netted the game-winning goal with 5:14 left in regulation for the K-Wings, while it wasn't until the final three minutes of play that Kalamazoo scored the game-winning goal on Saturday night. Thomas factored in on both game-winning goals, recording an assist on Justin Taylor's game-winner on Saturday night. The former Komet finished the weekend with three points (1g, 2a) against his former squad.
Hot Starts and Career Nights:
Defenseman Ben Betker, a fourth year pro, set a career high for points on Saturday night scoring once, and adding two assists. The former Edmonton Oilers draft pick had recorded a two-point game on six separate occasions throughout his career, but had never surpassed that.
Two assists on Saturday night gave Kyle Thomas a point in each of Kalamazoo's first three games this season. The forward, who leads the team with four points (2g, 2a) recorded a point in each of the final two games last season, giving him points in five consecutive games.
Staying Out of the Box:
Three games into the regular season Kalamazoo is the fifth least penalized team in the ECHL. The Wings average just under ten (9.67) penalty minutes a game. Allen currently leads the league averaging 28.00 penalty minutes per game. The Wings have only taken one major penalty so far this year.
Central Division Standings:
1. Indy, (3-1-0-0), 6 pts
2. Cincinnati, (2-1-0-0), 4 pts
3. Kalamzoo, (2-1-0-0), 4 pts
4. Toledo, (1-1-1-0), 3 pts
5. Ft. Wayne, (1-3-0-0), 2 pts
6. Wheeling, (0-2-0-0), 0 pts
1. Kyle Thomas, F, 2g-2a-4pts
2. Justin Taylor, F, 3g-0a-3pts
3. Ben Betker, D, 1g-2a-3pts
4. Brendan Bradley, F, 0g-3a-3pts
Kalamazoo Wings single game and season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com/seasontickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 22, 2018
- Florida Everblades Weekly: October 22, 2018 - Florida Everblades
- Steelheads Weekly Report - October 22, 2018 - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Sign Forward Tyler Coulter - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - October 22 - ECHL
- Thunder Weekly, October 22nd - Wichita Thunder
- Gladiators Trade for Defenseman Campbell from Idaho - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nolan Gluchowski Re-Joins Steelheads from Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Stingrays Weekly Report - October 22 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Lightning Reassign Mitch Hults to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Add Defenseman Mikulovich - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wooo, Wooo: Opening Night Is Saturday - Toledo Walleye
- Mariners Look to Start Winning Streak - Maine Mariners
- K-Wings Weekly: Orange Ice and Nickelodeon on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, October 22 - Wheeling Nailers
- Grizzlies Home vs Idaho October 26th and 27th - Utah Grizzlies
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 2 - Indy Fuel
- Komets to Face Toledo Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Weekly - Reading Royals
- Mavs Monday Report: October 22 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - October 22 - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Rally Falls Short in a Loss to the Oilers - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Wilson Signs PTO with AHL's Chicago Wolves
- Playoff Run Comes to End as Wings Fall in Game 6
- Game Day: K-Wings Aim to Even Series, Force Game 7 in Cincy
- Bradley, Hildebrand Power K-Wings to Game 5 Victory
- Game Day: K-Wings Host Game 5 Saturday Night at Wings Event Center