Jacks Close Regular Season with 4-2 Win
ODESSA, TX - On a night where Sebastien Thinel was honored by being placed in the franchise's Hall of Fame, the Odessa Jackalopes finished their regular season with a 4-2 win over the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs. With the win the Jackalopes finalize their place as the fifth seed in the Central Hockey League's Berry Conference for the postseason.
Mike Ramsay and Matt Gens each finished with two-point nights for the Jacks, who end the 2010-11 campaign with a 31-28-7 record.
Jeff Kyrzakos scored each of the Mudbugs' (37-26-3) goals. Joel Martin stopped 26 shots for the win in his first appearance for Odessa since being called up to the AHL on January 4th.
The Jacks jumped out to a 2-0 lead in period one as Luke Stauffacher scored just 90 seconds into the game, before Gens struck again midway through. Both goals came on the power play for the Jacks.
Kyrzakos made it a 2-1 contest after scoring just a minute into the second period. The Jacks answered back with a shorthanded goal on a breakaway by Mike Lesperance.
Thinel made it a 4-1 game in the third period from Todd Robinson. With the goal Thinel finishes the season with 110 points on the season to lead the CHL. Robinson extended his point streak to 17 games, tying Thinel for the team-high this season. Kyrzakos scored again for the Bugs to finalize the score.
John DeCaro made 21 saves in the loss for the Mudbugs.
The Jackalopes now look towards the start of the playoffs as they will visit either Tulsa or Texas for the Opening Round best-of-five. Game three will be back in Odessa on April 5th. Game four, if necessary, will be on April 7th.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
Follow the Jackalopes all year long on Facebook and Twitter -- Twitter.com/ODEJackalopes.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 26, 2011
- Americans Edged 5-4 in OT by Riverkings in Front of Sellout Crowd - Allen Americans
- Rapid City Wins Turner Conference - CHL
- Eagles Earn 2nd Seed in Turner Conference, Will Face Quad City Mallards in Opening Round of Playoffs - Colorado Eagles
- RiverKings Rally, Beat Allen in Shootout - Mississippi RiverKings
- Killer Bees Release Playoff Schedule - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- PrairieThunder Lose 1-0 at Evansville on Saturday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Komets ground Eagles 2-1 in season finale; Clinch sixth seed in CHL Opening Round playoffs - Fort Wayne Komets
- Bucks Eliminated From Playoff Race - Laredo Bucks
- Bees Clinch Playoff Berth With 5-4 Win - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mavericks Fall to Bucks in Regular Season Finale, 2-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Beat Thunder Again - Wichita Thunder
- Regular Season Ends with Loss in Odessa - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mallards Fall In Dayton, Finish Regular Season In Seventh Place - Quad City Mallards
- Jacks Close Regular Season with 4-2 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Gems finish regular season with 6-2 win over Mallards - Dayton Gems
- Komets announce 2010-11 End of Season Awards - Fort Wayne Komets
- Komets Klip Eagles in Regular Season Finale - Colorado Eagles
- First Round Playoff Dates Set for Jackalopes - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Announce First Round Opponent, Schedule - Arizona Sundogs
- Mudbugs Announce First Round Playoff Schedule - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Face Must Win Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Support Ole Miss Hockey in Jersey Auction - Mississippi RiverKings
- Rush Overcome Three-Goal Deficit in 4-3 Shootout Win in Arizona - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Fall 4-3 in Shootout to Defending Champs - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.