Islanders Can't Slow Surging Springfield
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - Cory Schneider made 44 saves on Wednesday, matching his career high in the American Hockey League, but the Springfield Thunderbirds (13-2-2-0) scored four times in the second period and the Bridgeport Islanders (5-10-1-2) dropped a 4-1 decision at MassMutual Center.
All four of the Thunderbirds' goals were tallied at even strength despite seven power-play opportunities for the home team. The Islanders had a season-high six power plays of their own, with their only goal coming on the man advantage from Austin Czarnik in the final two minutes.
Schneider stopped all 19 shots he faced in a busy first period to keep the game scoreless. Springfield outshot Bridgeport 19-8 in the opening period and 12-6 in the second, taking control of the contest beginning at the 6:04 mark of the middle frame. Logan Brown dug the puck out of a pile of players on the left side and centered a pass for Josh Wesley, where the defenseman greeted it with a one-time blast for his first goal of the season.
Brown capitalized on a centering pass from Nathan Walker more than two minutes later and Hugh McGing followed up with his fourth goal of the season just 29 seconds after that to make it 3-0. McGing twisted a slap shot past Schneider's glove at the 8:40 mark after he was presented a pass from Matthew Peca.
Mackenzie MacEachern put the Thunderbirds ahead by four at 9:57 of the second period, sweeping home Alexei Toropchenko's feed for his second goal of the season.
Down 4-0 in the final two minutes, Czarnik snapped home his third goal of the season at 18:26 of the third period to end Charlie Lindgren's shutout. Chris Terry guided a pass to Mitch Vande Sompel at the blue line, where he quickly found Czarnik in the left circle. Czarnik's shot funneled through traffic and past Lindgren's glove for the 4-1 final.
Springfield outshot Bridgeport 48-19 and Lindgren (7-1-1) made 18 saves for his fourth straight win. The Thunderbirds won their fifth straight game and improved to 6-0-1-0 against the Islanders in the series.
Next Time Out: The Islanders return to action on Friday with a 7 p.m. matchup against the Providence Bruins at Webster Bank Arena. Fans can follow the action all season long via the Bridgeport Islanders Radio Network and AHLTV, beginning with the pre-game show at 6:40 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 24, 2021
- Providence Bruins Score Late Goal to Force Overtime, Fall to Hershey Bears, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Take Down First-Place Comets - Rochester Americans
- Bears Win in Overtime Upon Video Review on Thanksgiving Eve - Hershey Bears
- Penguins' Late Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to Checkers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Edged by Senators, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Hold on for 4-3 Win over Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Suffer First Loss of Season, Lose 4-2 to Americans - Utica Comets
- Islanders Can't Slow Surging Springfield - Bridgeport Islanders
- T-Birds Feast on Islanders for 5th Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolves Welcome Lodnia - Chicago Wolves
- Roadrunners and Fans Team for Toy Drive this Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Frost Recalled to Flyers - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Scott Wilson Aiming to Return to Highest Level, Helping Charlotte Along the Way - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Team up with Physicians Ambulance for Season of Giving - Cleveland Monsters
- Phantoms Power Play Presented by Provident Bank - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Fredrik Claesson to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Get Two from Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Gov. Charlie Baker to Drop Puck at T-Birds Game Wednesday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Bell MTS Iceplex Recognizes Arena Naming Partners - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, November 24 at Utica - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bruins at Bears, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Detroit Recalls Renouf, Grand Rapids Signs Hillman - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Face T-Birds on Thanksgiving Eve - Bridgeport Islanders
- Capitals Recall Malenstyn and Sgarbossa from Chocolate and White - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Preview: November 24, 2021 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.