T-Birds Feast on Islanders for 5th Straight Win
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The first place Springfield Thunderbirds (13-2-2-0) completed a three-game sweep of the Bridgeport Islanders (5-10-1-2) and captured their fifth straight win overall in a 4-1 win on Wednesday night at the MassMutual Center.
Springfield's offense gave Bridgeport goaltender Cory Schneider plenty of work in the opening 20 minutes, using three power plays and steady offensive pressure to post 19 shots on net over the opening stanza. However, the Islanders defense never buckled in front of Schneider, and a perfect 3-for-3 penalty kill supplemented Schneider's stellar start to the game.
At the other end, Charlie Lindgren, who entered with a 6-1-1 record in his first eight starts, saw just eight shots, but his rebound control was superb to keep the Islanders' offense equally puzzled.
Schneider did all he could to keep the game in check, but the T-Birds broke down the levee walls in the second period with a four-minute stretch that rivaled the most prolific in-game charges in team history. Josh Wesley fired the first blow with a bar-down wrist shot over Schneider's glove hand at 6:04 to make it a 1-0 game off a slick cross-ice feed from Logan Brown.
2:07 later, at 4-on-4, Nathan Walker and Brown continued their feast against the Islanders as Walker set up Brown from the side of the net, and Brown pushed a backhander home as he was cruising through the blue paint to make it 2-0. Walker and Brown's points on that tally put each of them at nine points against the Islanders on the young season.
Only 29 more seconds passed before Hugh McGing rocketed a one-time slapper over Schneider's glove on a pass from Matthew Peca. McGing's blast from the left circle at 8:40 made it a 3-0 lead on Springfield's second 4-on-4 goal of the game.
The T-Birds still were not content with a three-goal cushion, as Mackenzie MacEachern pounced on a rebound from an Alexey Toropchenko redirection and potted his second of the season at 9:57, ending a run of three goals in just 3:53 of game action to turn a scoreless game into a 4-0 romp.
Lindgren carried his shutout into the game's final two minutes before Austin Czarnik finally cashed in for Bridgeport on a power play with just 1:34 left on the clock. Springfield finished the 4-1 victory having outshot the Islanders 48-19. Schneider battled to make 44 saves in the loss. Lindgren's win was his fourth straight overall, and he has allowed just four goals on his last 96 shots faced.
The Thunderbirds will look to tie a team record as they shoot for their sixth straight win on Friday night in Hartford in a matchup with the second-place Wolf Pack. Puck drop from the XL Center is set for 7:00 p.m.
For more information on the Springfield Thunderbirds and to order tickets, please visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com. To learn more about becoming a Thunderbirds ticket member, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) to speak to a Thunderbirds representative.
Images from this story
Springfield Thunderbirds exchange congratulations after a win
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 24, 2021
- Providence Bruins Score Late Goal to Force Overtime, Fall to Hershey Bears, 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Take Down First-Place Comets - Rochester Americans
- Bears Win in Overtime Upon Video Review on Thanksgiving Eve - Hershey Bears
- Penguins' Late Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to Checkers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Edged by Senators, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Hold on for 4-3 Win over Penguins - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Suffer First Loss of Season, Lose 4-2 to Americans - Utica Comets
- Islanders Can't Slow Surging Springfield - Bridgeport Islanders
- T-Birds Feast on Islanders for 5th Straight Win - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Wolves Welcome Lodnia - Chicago Wolves
- Roadrunners and Fans Team for Toy Drive this Weekend - Tucson Roadrunners
- Frost Recalled to Flyers - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Scott Wilson Aiming to Return to Highest Level, Helping Charlotte Along the Way - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Team up with Physicians Ambulance for Season of Giving - Cleveland Monsters
- Phantoms Power Play Presented by Provident Bank - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Fredrik Claesson to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Get Two from Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Gov. Charlie Baker to Drop Puck at T-Birds Game Wednesday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Bell MTS Iceplex Recognizes Arena Naming Partners - Manitoba Moose
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, November 24 at Utica - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bruins at Bears, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Detroit Recalls Renouf, Grand Rapids Signs Hillman - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Face T-Birds on Thanksgiving Eve - Bridgeport Islanders
- Capitals Recall Malenstyn and Sgarbossa from Chocolate and White - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Preview: November 24, 2021 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.