IceRays fall in shootout to Sundogs 3-2
The Arizona Sundogs used overtime and a six-round shootout to outlast the Corpus Christi IceRays 3-2 Saturday Night in Prescott Valley. The IceRays tied the game late in regulation to salvage a point, and finished an impressive weekend with two wins and an overtime loss. Corpus Christi upped their record to 3-5-1 , while Arizona improved to 4-5-1 on the season. The IceRays took five of a possible six points on the week, and will now head back to South Texas for a pair of games next weekend.
The Sundogs got the only goal of the first period at 8:17 when Tyler Liebel scored his first of the season from the slot on the power play to give Arizona a 1-0 lead. The IceRays outshot the Sundogs 10-7 in the period.
The Sundogs kept taking penalties and the IceRays got numerous power play opportunities in the second and tied the score on their eighth man advantage when Mike Zbriger banked a shot off of Marco Emond and into the net from a bad angle at 7:39. John Adams and Justin Quenneville got the assists to make the score 1-1 heading into the third period. The IceRays outshot the Sundogs 9-7 in the period.
The IceRays tied the game late on a power play when they pulled their goaltender for a two-man advantage. At 18:49 John Adams redirected a shot past Emond to force overtime. After a scoreless OT, the Sundogs prevailed in the sixth round of a shootout when Mark Kolanos got the game winning goal. The Dogs scored four of six shots in the shootout, while the IceRays tallied three of six.
Tebbs (3-2-1) took the shootout loss making 24 saves on 26 shots while Marco Emond (4-2-1) earned the win with 31 saves on 33 shots. The IceRays power play went 2-12 while the Sundogs went 1-5 on the man advantage. The IceRays outshot the Sundogs 33-27. The IceRays conclude their four-game road trip on Friday Night with their first trip to Rio Grande Valley. They return to the American Bank Center on Nov. 15th to host the Amarillo Gorillas at 7:05pm. Tickets to all IceRays games are on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets or the American Bank Center Box Office. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at www.ccrayz.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 8, 2008
- Emond Backstops Arizona to 3-2 Shootout Win - Arizona Sundogs
- Shootout Win Over Rage Moves Mudbugs to 7-1 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- IceRays fall in shootout to Sundogs 3-2 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Third Line, Nelson Lead Eagles Over Rush - Colorado Eagles
- Rage Capture Hard-Earned Point on the Road - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Bucks Sting Killer Bees, Win 5-2 - Laredo Bucks
- Brahmas fall flat, lose to Jackalopes 5-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Gorillas offense struggles in 3-1 Tulsa victory - Amarillo Gorillas
- RiverKings Silence Thunder for Third Straight Win - Mississippi RiverKings
- Scorpions Fall In OKC - New Mexico Scorpions
- Thunder drop fourth straight - Wichita Thunder
- Jacks Complete Perfect Road Trip With 5-2 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Goaltender Gistedt Recalled to San Antonio - Arizona Sundogs
- Oilers game preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Amarillo Spoils The Return Of Coach Ferras - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale