Hustle Rally Falls Short against Lakers
El Segundo, Calif. - The Memphis Hustle lost for the first time this season, falling 125-118 to the South Bay Lakers Saturday night at UCLA Health Training Center. The Hustle shot a season-low 37.7 percent from the field (37-99 FG) while South Bay was an efficient 53.3 percent overall (49-92 FG).
Trailing by 16 entering the fourth quarter, and by as many as 19, Memphis opened the fourth quarter on a 21-7 run to cut the lead to 104-102 with 6:42 remaining. The Hustle took the lead back at 113-110 courtesy of an Ahmad Caver three with 3:46 remaining. However, the Lakers closed the final 1:56 on a 10-0 run to seal the victory.
Memphis trailed by just three at halftime (59-56) despite shooting just 34.8 percent (16-46 FG) from the field and 28.6 percent (8-28 3P) from long range. The difference came in the third quarter, where the Hustle were outscored 38-25. South Bay shot 63.5 percent (14-22 FG) in the period while knocking down 5-of-8 three-point attempts.
South Bay outscored Memphis 70-36 in the painted area to go with the advantage from its reserves and assisted on 33 of its 49 made baskets. Memphis, who entered the night leading the league in three-point percentage, shot a season-low 30.0 percent from three-point range (18-60 3P).
Dusty Hannahs led Memphis with 28 points, shooting 5-of-11 from long range. Josh Jackson finished with 21 points and eight rebounds to go with a pair of steals. Matt Mooney added 19 points while also pouring in five three-pointers. Caver totaled a season-high 15 points in a reserve role. Marquis Teague (13 points) and Jarrod Uthoff (12 points) also reached double figures.
South Bay got massive contributions from its bench, outscoring Memphis' reserves 74-38. Andre Ingram (22 points) and Zach Norvell Jr. (21 points) led the Lakers in scoring off the bench. Devontae Cacok had 14 points and a game-high 15 rebounds. Gary Payton II (14 points, 11 assists) also recorded a double-double for South Bay. Kostas Antetokounmpo tallied 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting.
The team will finish its four-game road trip out west against the Agua Caliente Clippers on Monday, December 9 at 1 p.m. inside Toyota Arena. The Hustle return to Landers Center on Wednesday, December 11 to take on Midwest Division rival Sioux Falls Skyforce at 7 p.m. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Herd Claims Best Record in G League, Downs Rio Grande Valley 128-115 - Wisconsin Herd
- First Half Turnovers Hold Suns Back in Loss to Stars - Northern Arizona Suns
- Fab Five Lead Wolves to Road Victory over Spurs - Iowa Wolves
- Hustle Rally Falls Short against Lakers - Memphis Hustle
- Charge Bested in the Capital City - Canton Charge
- Austin Spurs Fall to Iowa Wolves 128-115 - Austin Spurs
- Second Unit Helps South Bay Hand Memphis First Loss of Season - South Bay Lakers
- Mad Ants Erase 21-Point Deficit in Comeback Win against Raptors 905 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Knicks Win by Season-High Margin, Down Erie 123-106 - Westchester Knicks
- Lakeland Magic Fall to Greensboro Swarm - Lakeland Magic
- Brown's Record Night Not Enough for Maine - Maine Red Claws
- Timberwolves Assign Jaylen Nowell to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Greensboro Acquires Tai Odiase Via Player Pool - Greensboro Swarm
- Santa Cruz Warriors Bounce Back in New York, Beat Nets 119-109 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Jarrod Uthoff and Dusty Hannahs Earn All-NBA G League Honors
- Memphis Hustle Issues Statement
- Memphis Grizzlies Community Assistance Fund Supports Memphians in Need During COVID-19 Pandemic
- Memphis Hustle Announce Single Game Ticket Policy for Postponed Games
- Memphis Hustle Waive Nino Johnson