Hughes flirts with "no-no" in 4-0 Trenton win
(Trenton, NJ)- Thunder RHP's Phil Hughes and J.B. Cox combined on a one-hit shutout of Connecticut on Friday night in a 4-0 win at Waterfront Park. The win was the thirs straight for Trenton, which remains in 2nd Place in the Northern Division.
Hughes carried the no-hit bid through the first seven innings. The Defenders (32-39) were able to destroy the bid with a leadoff double by 2B Derrin McMains in the 8th Inning. Only twice in the game did Connecticut have a runner in scoring position. Hughes walked two and struck out 10 on the night. He has 21 strikeouts in his last two outings.
It was the third time this season that Trenton (38-35) had a pitcher carry a no-hitter into the 8th Inning. Steven White had 7 1/3 "no-hit" innings at Harrisburg on April 11th, while Tyler Clippard worked seven "perfect" innings against Binghamton on May 26th. There has never been a no-hitter thrown by a Trenton pitcher in the 13-year history of the franchise.
Trenton took a 1-0 lead in the 1st Inning as DH Brett Gardner singled, stole 2nd Base and scored on a hit by RF Bronson Sardinha. Sardinha made it a 2-0 game in the 6th Inning with a solo homer off Defenders starter Chris Begg. Vince Faison scored later in the sixth as he reached 3rd Base ona hit and scored when CF Clay Timpner misplayed the ball. Gardner made it a 4-0 game in the 7th Inning with an RBi single. Begg (5-8) took the loss allowing four runs on 10 hits in six innings.
The Thunder and Defenders meet again on Saturday at 7:05 PM. Tyler Clippard (3-9, 5.16) starts for Trenton against Connecticut's Garrett Broshuis (3-4, 5.10).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 23, 2006
- Akron Earns Split - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve squander early lead, lose to Senators 6-4 - Altoona Curve
- Gabbard Promoted to Triple-A, Rusty Tucker Joins Club - Portland Sea Dogs
- Hughes flirts with "no-no" in 4-0 Trenton win - Trenton Thunder
- Fisher Cats win 4-2 Friday night in Portland - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Hughes silences Defenders with a one-hit masterpiece - Connecticut Defenders
- New Hampshire leads the season series 6-4 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder infielder Felix Escalona activated from DL - Trenton Thunder
- Thunder's "Reverse Giveaway" a success - Trenton Thunder
- Fisher Cats to hold town meeting for fans - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rodney Ormond re-joins Fisher Cats - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Today's Autograph Session Cancelled - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- 2019 Season to Feature 22 Fireworks Shows at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Thunder GM/COO Jeff Hurley Named Eastern League Executive of the Year
- River Fest to Feature Fall Draft Selections and Special Food Items
- Trenton Thunder to participate in 2019 "Copa de la Diverson"
- Season Ends with Sweep at Hands of Fisher Cats