Hot Rods Power Past Dragons for 5-1 Victory
Bowling Green, KY - Chris Betts and Osmy Gregorio homered to back Alan Strong, who fired 6.2 innings of one-run ball to lead the Hot Rods to a 5-1 win over the Dayton Dragons on Friday night at Bowling Green Ballpark. The Hot Rods won the series and improved to 71-52, 32-21 in the second half, ahead of a trip to Fort Wayne, ahead of a Saturday night contest that will begin with a 6:05 p.m. CDT first pitch.
In the early innings, both teams had ample opportunities to score. In the first, the Hot Rods loaded the bases with two outs, but did not score. Meanwhile, Dayton could not convert a one-out double in the second or a leadoff triple in the third, as Alan Strong successfully navigated out of both jams.
In the fourth, the Hot Rods struck first off Dayton starter Connor Curlis. Ruben Cardenas led off with a triple off the right-field wall, then scored two batters later on a sacrifice fly by Grant Witherspoon.
That run held up into the sixth inning when Bowling Green brought out the power against Curlis. After consecutive errors from Dayton opened the inning, Chris Betts took advantage by launching a three-run homer over the right-field bullpen, giving the Hot Rods a four-run lead. Bowling Green was not done, though, as Osmy Gregorio lined a solo homer into the right-field bullpen with two outs, chasing Curlis and giving the Hot Rods a 5-0 lead.
In the seventh, the Dragons finally got on the board against Strong. With one out, Miguel Hernandez doubled and Miles Gordon singled him home. However, Strong finished his outing by recording his career-high ninth strikeout, before handing things off to Nick Padilla with two outs in the seventh, who finished the inning with no further damage.
Padilla continued to roll, retiring all seven hitters he faced, nailing down the 5-1 victory that secured a series win.
Strong (9-4) went 6.2 innings, allowing one run on six hits, while walking one and striking out nine. Padilla threw the final 2.1 innings, striking out three without allowing a baserunner.
Notes: Aranda has an eight-game hitting streak...Proctor has 32 multi-hit contests...Whalen picked up his 12th multi-hit night...Betts homered for the first time since July 29 vs. Lake County...His 18th home run of the season also passed Phillip Wunderlich for sole possession of fourth place in franchise history...He collected his 17th multi-RBI affair...Gregorio homered for the first time since July 13 vs. Wisconsin...Strong notched a career-high nine strikeouts...Strong recorded his team-best 12th quality start, the 50th by the Hot Rods this season...Strong also worked into the seventh inning for the ninth time this year...He earned his fifth-consecutive win, tying Matthew Liberatore for the most by a Hot Rods this season...BG clinched their fourth-straight winning season with their 71st victory...The Hot Rods are 20-12-5 in series this season...They are also 10-4 in the rubber game of a series...Bowling Green finishes the season series 11-8 against Dayton...The Hot Rods are 50-32 when scoring first...Bowling Green starters are 45-26 this season...BG is 41-22 at home this season...The Hot Rods are 48-8 when outhitting their opponent...The Hot Rods will travel to Fort Wayne to begin a four-game series with the Fort Wayne TinCaps, with first pitch at 6:05 p.m. CDT on Saturday night...RHP Easton McGee (7-4, 3.64) will start for Bowling Green, while Fort Wayne has yet to announce their starter...Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 16, 2019
- 'Caps Bats Scare off Loons - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Wins Series and Season Series over Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Nuts Set Team Record for Margin of Victory in 19-1 Steamrolling - Lansing Lugnuts
- Osborne's Big Night Carries Beloit to 8-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- LumberKings Drop Series with 4-3 Loss to Bees - Clinton LumberKings
- Rattlers Homestand Ends with a Shutout Loss to Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall Friday, Win Series in Geneva - Peoria Chiefs
- Canterino Wins 4-0 Combined Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cubs Pick up Big Series Win in Lake County with 8-1 Victory - South Bend Cubs
- Fletcher's Four-Hit Night Carries Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Power Past Dragons for 5-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Top Dragons 5-1, Win Series in Kentucky - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Lose Series in West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Complete Road Trip in Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Announce Love Your Melon Ticket Package for August 23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 16 at Lansing (Game 121) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RHP Jacob Billingsley transferred from Fayetteville to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday, August 16 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020