Chiefs Fall Friday, Win Series in Geneva
Geneva, IL - Going for the sweep, the Peoria Chiefs had a three-run lead slip away in a 4-3 loss to the Kane County Cougars Friday night. With three singles and a RBI, third baseman Imeldo Diaz was the Pekin Insurance Beyond the Expected Player of the Game.
The Chiefs took the lead in the third inning against starter Luis Frias. Peoria loaded the bases on a single by Josh Shaw, a Jonatan Machado walk and Delvin Perez was hit by a pitch. With one down, Diaz brought home Shaw with an infield single off the pitcher as the bases remained loaded. Carlos Sot put the Chiefs on top with a sacrifice fly to center as Machado scored and Perez took third. With Alexis Wilson batting, Perez stole home on the throw back to the mound as the Chiefs went on top 3-0.
Kane County scored a run in the bottom of the inning on two doubles. In the fifth they tied the game on a two-run homer and took the lead later in the inning against starter Mike Brettell.
The Chiefs had two runners on base in the seventh but a caught stealing stopped the rally. In the ninth, Riley singled and two wild pitches put the tying run at third base. But Kane County won the game on two straight outs.
Brettell (4-9) took the loss as he allowed four runs on eight hits over five innings as he walked one and struck out four. Connor Thomas threw two shutout innings and Evan Sisk delivered a shutout frame as well.
The Chiefs return home to start a seven-game homestand with a 6:35 p.m. Saturday game against Wisconsin. The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:20 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game is also available on MiLB.TV for subscribers.
The first 1000 fans 13 and over get a Jim Thome Hall of Fame bobblehead presented by Hardee's. Thome will be on hand to throw out a ceremonial first pitch as will former Peoria Central and Indiana University basketball star AJ Guyton. There will be post-game fireworks and a pitch-in for charity tennis ball toss to raise money for Theresa Tracy Trot. Individual game tickets, group tickets and season ticket packages, including full-season, a 35-game ticket package, an 18-game ticket package or a Flex Plan are currently on sale by calling 309-680-4000. Individual game tickets are also on sale with the Dozer Park Box Office open Monday - Friday from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm and online at www.peoriachiefs.com which also lists all of the season's promotions. Game times and promotions are subject to change.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 16, 2019
- 'Caps Bats Scare off Loons - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Wins Series and Season Series over Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Nuts Set Team Record for Margin of Victory in 19-1 Steamrolling - Lansing Lugnuts
- Osborne's Big Night Carries Beloit to 8-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- LumberKings Drop Series with 4-3 Loss to Bees - Clinton LumberKings
- Rattlers Homestand Ends with a Shutout Loss to Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall Friday, Win Series in Geneva - Peoria Chiefs
- Canterino Wins 4-0 Combined Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cubs Pick up Big Series Win in Lake County with 8-1 Victory - South Bend Cubs
- Fletcher's Four-Hit Night Carries Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Power Past Dragons for 5-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Top Dragons 5-1, Win Series in Kentucky - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Lose Series in West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Complete Road Trip in Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Announce Love Your Melon Ticket Package for August 23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 16 at Lansing (Game 121) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RHP Jacob Billingsley transferred from Fayetteville to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday, August 16 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Peoria Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Single Game Tickets Go on Sale March 16
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Bobble Heads and Theme Ticket Packages
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Fireworks Dates
- Chiefs Scholarship Applications Open Until March 4
- Almonte Returns as Chiefs Manager in 2020; Gabella & Martin Join Staff