Cubs Pick up Big Series Win in Lake County with 8-1 Victory
Eastlake, OH: The South Bend Cubs received one of the best starts of the year from right-hander Derek Casey in an 8-1 win over the Lake County Captains on Friday night. With the win, the Cubs take two out of three from their division rival and remain in sole possession of the Eastern Division wild card spot.
Casey had a feel for his stuff from the start of his outing. In seven strong innings, Casey allowed just one run and struck out five batters. The last time Casey went seven innings was on the night of South Bend's no-hitter on May 6 against Cedar Rapids. That night, Casey pitched seven perfect innings.
Offensively, the Cubs were on the board quickly in the top of the 1st inning when Nelson Velazquez drove in Clayton Daniel on a sacrifice fly. In the 3rd, Andy Weber plated the eventual game winning run on a sharp single into center field off of Alex Royalty. Weber, who is South Bend's RBI leader, brought his season total to 57 in the win.
Weber finished his night with three hits. Cole Roederer and Jake Slaughter both had two. Out of the bullpen, Eugenio Palma worked two shutout innings to end the game.
The victory improves South Bend to 66-55 on the season. With two wins to start the seven game road trip, the club will pack the bus and head to Midland, Michigan to take on the Great Lakes Loons starting tomorrow at 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 16, 2019
- 'Caps Bats Scare off Loons - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Beloit Wins Series and Season Series over Quad Cities - Beloit Snappers
- Nuts Set Team Record for Margin of Victory in 19-1 Steamrolling - Lansing Lugnuts
- Osborne's Big Night Carries Beloit to 8-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- LumberKings Drop Series with 4-3 Loss to Bees - Clinton LumberKings
- Rattlers Homestand Ends with a Shutout Loss to Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall Friday, Win Series in Geneva - Peoria Chiefs
- Canterino Wins 4-0 Combined Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cubs Pick up Big Series Win in Lake County with 8-1 Victory - South Bend Cubs
- Fletcher's Four-Hit Night Carries Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods Power Past Dragons for 5-1 Victory - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Top Dragons 5-1, Win Series in Kentucky - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Lose Series in West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Complete Road Trip in Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Announce Love Your Melon Ticket Package for August 23 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 16 at Lansing (Game 121) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- RHP Jacob Billingsley transferred from Fayetteville to Quad Cities - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday, August 16 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs Partner with Rival in the Fight against Breast Cancer
- Watch the Cubs and White Sox at Four Winds Field September 25
- Relive the South Bend Cubs Championship Run
- Movie Night Featuring the Sandlot FAQs
- Movie Night and Fireworks Show Added for September 4