Hernandez Slammed, Joey Rose in Cougars Win
Geneva, Illinois- The Kane County Cougars (33-31) belted three home runs in a 10-4 win over the Burlington Bees (36-29) on Tuesday night at Northwestern Medicine Field. Eddie Hernandez hit his first homer of the year, a grand slam, and Joey Rose debuted with a four-hit night.
The Cougars played a mistake-riddled first inning. They were charged for three errors and gave up three runs. Cougar starter Levi Kelly walked Kevin Maitan with one out. He scored from second base on a single by Nonie Williams. Williams raced to third on a throwing error by right fielder Eduardo Diaz. Cougar third baseman Blaze Alexander dropped a popup to put runners at first and third. Kelly's throwing error on a pickoff throw plated another run and a sac fly by Keinner Pina made it 3-0 Burlington.
The Cougars broke out in the third inning. Joey Rose's RBI single made it 3-1. Zack Shannon belted a three-run homer to give the Cougars their first lead, 4-3 in the fourth inning. Eddie Hernandez came to the plate in the fifth with the bases loaded. His third hit of the night was a bases-clearing long ball.
Burlington recorded a run in the seventh inning, but Joey Rose hammered his fourth hit of the night, a two-run homer in the eighth to put the Cougars up 10-4.
Levi Kelly (1-0) settled in after the rocky first inning. He retired the final 13 batters he faced and finished after five innings, allowed three runs (one earned) on one hit with a season-high nine strikeouts. Ryan Miller tossed three innings out of the pen. He allowed one run. Kenny Hernandez struck out the side in order in the ninth.
Cristopher Molina (3-4) suffered the loss. He allowed six runs on seven hits over 4.1 innings.
The Cougars are 2.5 games back of the Bees for the first-half Wild Card spot with six games to play until the All-Star Break.
The Cougars and Bees play day baseball in the middle game of the three-game series Wednesday. First pitch is scheduled for 11:00 A.M. Purchase tickets by calling 630-232-8811 or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Cantillo Leads 'Caps to Shutout Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Climb Back into Wild Card Lead - Lake County Captains
- Pitching Rules in LumberKings Shutout Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- First Chance Flub - Great Lakes Loons
- Hernandez Slammed, Joey Rose in Cougars Win - Kane County Cougars
- Hogan Posts Strong Start, But Hot Rods Fall 4-0 to Fort Wayne - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice in 4-1 Kernels Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Losing Skid Continues - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 9 in a Row: Dragons Hold on for 1-Run Win in Series Opener with West Michigan - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Crack Three Homers to Top Timber Rattlers 4-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Shutout Clinton 1-0 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Install Solar Panels at Modern Woodmen Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 11 at Bowling Green (Game 63) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Daniels and Castellanos Added to All-Star Team - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season