Chiefs Shutout Clinton 1-0 Tuesday
Clinton, IA - The Peoria Chiefs got a timely hit and great pitching all night long to beat the Clinton LumberKings 1-0 on Tuesday night. The win moves the Chiefs to 28-36 with two games left in the series and five games left before the All-Star break.
The game was scoreless into the sixth as neither team had a runner past second base in the first five innings. Brendan Donovan drew a leadoff walk in the sixth from All-Star Humberto Mejia and moved to third on a throwing error by Mejia on a bunt by Delvin Perez. Perez was caught stealing before Nolan Gorman walked to put runners on the corners. Brady Whalen put the Chiefs on top 1-0 with a double off the right field wall but Alexis Wilson popped up and Bryce Denton walked to load the bases. Clinton changed pitchers and Alex Vesia struck out Juan Yepez to end the inning.
Kyle Leahy cruised through the first seven innings on just 86 pitches as he struck out seven and allowed four singles. Clinton didn't have a runner past first base in the first six frames as they hit into one double play and stranded three.
Clinton started the eighth inning with a single and a sac bunt to get their first runner to second base. A groundout to second moved the runner to third but Donovan made a diving play at second base and threw out Chris Torres at first base to end the inning.
Leahy (4-4) picked up the win as he allowed five hits, all singles, over a career-high eight shutout innings. He struck out seven and did not issue a walk. Cole Aker earned his second save as he struck out two in a perfect ninth inning.
The Chiefs hit the road for a three-game series with the Clinton LumberKings Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. Peoria will start RH Alvaro Seijas (4-4, 3.06) against Clinton RH Chris Vallimont (3-40=, 2.98). The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:15 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Cantillo Leads 'Caps to Shutout Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Climb Back into Wild Card Lead - Lake County Captains
- Pitching Rules in LumberKings Shutout Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- First Chance Flub - Great Lakes Loons
- Hernandez Slammed, Joey Rose in Cougars Win - Kane County Cougars
- Hogan Posts Strong Start, But Hot Rods Fall 4-0 to Fort Wayne - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice in 4-1 Kernels Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Losing Skid Continues - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 9 in a Row: Dragons Hold on for 1-Run Win in Series Opener with West Michigan - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Crack Three Homers to Top Timber Rattlers 4-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Shutout Clinton 1-0 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Install Solar Panels at Modern Woodmen Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 11 at Bowling Green (Game 63) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Daniels and Castellanos Added to All-Star Team - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.