'Caps Losing Skid Continues
DAYTON, OH - The West Michigan Whitecaps have fallen into an eight-game losing streak for the second time this season as part of a 5-4 loss to the Dayton Dragons on Tuesday night at Fifth Third Field.
The Whitecaps tie their longest 2019 losing skid that occurred from May 22-29 and have clinched their lowest winning percentage for one-half in franchise history as their record falls to 20-45.
The Whitecaps scored the first two runs of the Tuesday's contest, as Vinny Esposito was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the second inning to give West Michigan a 1-0 lead. An inning later, a line drive by Parker Meadows glanced off the glove of Dragons shortstop Miguel Hernandez to score Ulrich Bojarski and extend the "Caps lead to 2-0. The lead didn't last long, as the Jay Schuyler lined a two-run double into the right-field corner to tie the game at two in the third. In the fourth, four Dragons singles, including a run-scoring single by Mike Siani helped Dayton take a 5-2 lead. An RBI-double from Esposito in the sixth narrowed the "Caps deficit to 5-3 before Bojarski's run-scoring single brought the score to 5-4 in the ninth, but Rey Rivera, who left six runners on base in the ballgame, struck out looking for the second time to end the contest.
Whitecaps starter Adam Wolf (2-8) gave up five runs in five innings to suffer his Midwest League-leading eighth loss of the season, while Dragons reliever Eduardo Salazar (4-0) gave up a run in three frames to collect his fourth win. Eddy Demurias allowed a run but finished the ballgame in earned his second save of the year. The loss descends the Whitecaps record to 20-45 while Dayton extends its winning streak to nine games, improving their overall record to 26-39. West Michigan All-Star outfielder Ulrich Bojarski tallied three hits, while Vinny Esposito collected two RBI in a losing cause. The Whitecaps allowed the Dragons leadoff hitter to reach base in all but one inning of Tuesday's contest.
The Whitecaps three-game series against the Dayton Dragons continues on Wednesday at 7:00 pm. Pitcher Robbie Welhaf gets the start for West Michigan against Dragons pitcher Lyon Richardson. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty starts on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 6:00 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2019 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Cantillo Leads 'Caps to Shutout Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Climb Back into Wild Card Lead - Lake County Captains
- Pitching Rules in LumberKings Shutout Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- First Chance Flub - Great Lakes Loons
- Hernandez Slammed, Joey Rose in Cougars Win - Kane County Cougars
- Hogan Posts Strong Start, But Hot Rods Fall 4-0 to Fort Wayne - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice in 4-1 Kernels Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Losing Skid Continues - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 9 in a Row: Dragons Hold on for 1-Run Win in Series Opener with West Michigan - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Crack Three Homers to Top Timber Rattlers 4-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Shutout Clinton 1-0 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Install Solar Panels at Modern Woodmen Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 11 at Bowling Green (Game 63) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Daniels and Castellanos Added to All-Star Team - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.