Cantillo Leads 'Caps to Shutout Win
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - The TinCaps shut out the Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays affiliate), 4-0, on Tuesday night at Bowling Green Ballpark. Joey Cantillo went the first five innings to lead the way to the win, while Angel Acevedo, Adrian Martinez, Cody Tyler, and Jose Quezada teamed for four scoreless innings of relief.
Fort Wayne (29-34) scored the game's first run with two outs in the top of the second inning as shortstop Justin Lopez hit a solo home run over the right-field bullpen. Lopez, 19, leads the team with six long balls this season.
Behind the superb pitching of Cantillo, who allowed only one baserunner-a single to Wander Franco-with four strikeouts, and his counterpart, Miller Hogan, who also went five, it remained a tight game into the later innings.
The 'Caps finally added some insurance in the eighth when catcher Blake Hunt provided insurance with a two-out RBI single to score second baseman Xavier Edwards from second base.
In the ninth, again with two outs, Edwards provided a two-run double to left-center field. That brought in left fielder Aldemar Burgos, who doubled, and center fielder Jawuan Harris, who walked.
Acevedo went two innings after Cantillo, while Martinez struck out the lone batter he faced, Tyler retired the two he saw, and Quezada wrapped it up in the ninth.
This was Fort Wayne's seventh shutout win of the season. The TinCaps limited the Hot Rods to a total of three singles.
Cantillo, 19, has a 0.72 ERA over his last seven starts with 44 strikeouts against 18 hits and eight walks in 37.1 innings.
Wednesday, June 12 @ Bowling Green (7:35 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Sam Keating
- Hot Rods Probable Starter: RHP Alan Strong
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Cantillo Leads 'Caps to Shutout Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Climb Back into Wild Card Lead - Lake County Captains
- Pitching Rules in LumberKings Shutout Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- First Chance Flub - Great Lakes Loons
- Hernandez Slammed, Joey Rose in Cougars Win - Kane County Cougars
- Hogan Posts Strong Start, But Hot Rods Fall 4-0 to Fort Wayne - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice in 4-1 Kernels Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Losing Skid Continues - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 9 in a Row: Dragons Hold on for 1-Run Win in Series Opener with West Michigan - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Crack Three Homers to Top Timber Rattlers 4-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Shutout Clinton 1-0 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Install Solar Panels at Modern Woodmen Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 11 at Bowling Green (Game 63) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Daniels and Castellanos Added to All-Star Team - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.