First Chance Flub
EASTLAKE, Ohio - Tuesday night was the first night this season the Great Lakes Loons had a chance to clinch a playoff berth. Unfortunately, the celebration, while not inevitable, will have to wait another day. The Lake County Captains stole game one of a three-game series at Classic Park, 9-3.
The playoff-clinching scenario remains the same for the Loons even after the loss - win one of the final two games in Lake County, win two of three against Dayton this weekend or rely on Lake County/Bowling Green losses to get them in.
The Captains relied on a steady bullpen to stymie the Loons offense and saw all nine starting position players make a contribution on the offensive end. Manuel Alvarez (W, 4-1), Kyle Marman and Cameron Hill combined to throw six 1/3, one-run innings out of the 'pen.
Loons starter Jose Chacin (L, 5-4) gave up five runs in less than three innings.
It's a quick turnaround for the Loons and Captains as they get ready for a noon first pitch on Wednesday. Radio coverage of another opportunity for the Loons to clinch a playoff berth is slated to begin at 11:30 a.m. EDT.
Niko Hulsizer: 2-for-3, 2B, BB
Jacob Amaya: 2-for-5 R, RBI, 2K
Leonel Valera: 2-for-4, R, K
June 14: PRIDE Night; postgame concert by 'Valentiger'
June 15: Home Improvement Night feat. appearance by Richard Karn (Al Borland)
June 16: Prostate Cancer Awareness Day feat. postgame Father's Day catch on the field
June 17: Midwest League All-Star Game (South Bend, Ind.)
June 20: Lucky Hot Dog Night feat. X-Pogo Stunt Team
June 21: Polish Heritage Night feat. Feel Good Fridays & Extra Innings
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Cantillo Leads 'Caps to Shutout Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Climb Back into Wild Card Lead - Lake County Captains
- Pitching Rules in LumberKings Shutout Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- First Chance Flub - Great Lakes Loons
- Hernandez Slammed, Joey Rose in Cougars Win - Kane County Cougars
- Hogan Posts Strong Start, But Hot Rods Fall 4-0 to Fort Wayne - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice in 4-1 Kernels Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Losing Skid Continues - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 9 in a Row: Dragons Hold on for 1-Run Win in Series Opener with West Michigan - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Crack Three Homers to Top Timber Rattlers 4-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Shutout Clinton 1-0 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Install Solar Panels at Modern Woodmen Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 11 at Bowling Green (Game 63) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Daniels and Castellanos Added to All-Star Team - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.