Pitching Rules in LumberKings Shutout Loss
CLINTON, IA - Pitching ruled on Tuesday night at NelsonCorp Field and the Clinton LumberKings fell 1-0 to the Peoria Chiefs. The loss was the LumberKings (31-33) fourth shutout loss of the season as they failed to get two base runners to reach in the same inning.
Walks, which were an issue for Clinton in their previous series in Burlington, again plagued the LumberKings. The only run of the night was scored by Peoria (28-36) in the top of the sixth inning.
Humberto Mejia started for Clinton and was sharp most of the night but ran into trouble in the sixth inning. He issued three walks in the frame with Brady Whalen doubling off the wall in right to bring home Brendan Donovan for the only run of the game.
Mejia (5-1) was given his first loss of the season. He turned in 5.2 innings allowing one run on two hits while walking five and striking out three.
Clinton out-hit the Chiefs 5-3 but failed to string anything together. At no point during the game did the LumberKings have more than one runner on in an inning and only once had a runner in scoring position.
Peoria starter Kyle Leahy stifled any Clinton rally over his eight shutout innings of work. He scattered five hits while walking none and striking out seven to earn his fourth win of the year. Leahy (4-4) did not allow a runner to make it into scoring position until Bubba Hollins rached third but was stranded there.
Cole Aker worked the final inning for Peoria and earned his second save of the season with a 1-2-3 bottom of the ninth.
The LumberKings will meet the Peoria Chiefs for game two of their three-game series on Saturday night. Clinton will throw righty Chris Vallimont (3-4, 2.98) while Peoria will tap righty Alvaro Seijas (4-4, 3.06). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI or online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
Arrive early for Wednesday's game and receive the second baseball card strip giveaway of the season courtesy of Clinton National Bank and Mediacom. Wednesdays are also "Retro Beer Nights" in Clinton with select beers sold for just $2 out of the 1st base beer stand.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Cantillo Leads 'Caps to Shutout Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Climb Back into Wild Card Lead - Lake County Captains
- Pitching Rules in LumberKings Shutout Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- First Chance Flub - Great Lakes Loons
- Hernandez Slammed, Joey Rose in Cougars Win - Kane County Cougars
- Hogan Posts Strong Start, But Hot Rods Fall 4-0 to Fort Wayne - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice in 4-1 Kernels Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Losing Skid Continues - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 9 in a Row: Dragons Hold on for 1-Run Win in Series Opener with West Michigan - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Crack Three Homers to Top Timber Rattlers 4-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Shutout Clinton 1-0 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Install Solar Panels at Modern Woodmen Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 11 at Bowling Green (Game 63) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Daniels and Castellanos Added to All-Star Team - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.