Snyder Homers Twice in 4-1 Kernels Victory
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Gabe Snyder's first professional multi-homer game powered the Cedar Rapids Kernels to a 4-1 win Tuesday against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in front of 2,592 fans at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Austin Schulfer posted his first quality start and picked up the victory while Derek Molina notched his team-high eighth save.
The Kernels (35-30) are now just one game behind the Burlington Bees (36-29) for the Western Division First-Half Wild Card. Burlington dropped a 10-4 decision at the Kane County Cougars (33-31) in the opener of a three-game series.
Snyder homered in back-to-back at-bats and drove in most of the runs for Cedar Rapids in its Tuesday triumph. He launched a game-tying solo shot to right-center field during the fifth inning, and he added a two-run blast to right field within the seventh that pushed the Kernels to their winning margin of 4-1.
Akins hit a home run of his own to break a 1-1 tie in the sixth inning. Akins belted a solo homer to right field for his second round-tripper in as many days and put Cedar Rapids in front for good.
Schulfer (5-3) limited Wisconsin (29-35) to one run and one hit over a career-best six innings pitched and became the outright team leader in victories. He conceded an RBI force out to Je'Von Ward in the top of the fifth for his only run allowed. Schulfer also tallied a personal-high-tying eight strikeouts including four in a row during one stretch.
After a scoreless inning of relief from Carlos Suniaga, Molina faced the minimum in the eighth and ninth innings to complete the two-hitter. Molina recorded his eighth save in nine chances and moved within one save of Beloit Snapper Eric Marinez's league-high total.
The loss from Tuesday's series opener went to Logan Gillaspie (1-3). In a quality start, he gave up four runs including three earned runs in 6.1 innings pitched.
This three-game series continues Wednesday at 12:05 p.m., and the probable pitchers are Kernels southpaw Kody Funderburk (0-0, 0.00) and Timber Rattlers right-hander Justin Jarvis (0-0, 5.87). Wednesday's online-only coverage can be accessed at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
The Noon Game Combo Special provides fans a chance to enjoy a $8.50 meal deal that consists of a regular sandwich, a choice of chips or popcorn, and a choice of a 16 oz. regular draft beer or a 20 oz. bottled soda or water.
Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Cantillo Leads 'Caps to Shutout Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Climb Back into Wild Card Lead - Lake County Captains
- Pitching Rules in LumberKings Shutout Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- First Chance Flub - Great Lakes Loons
- Hernandez Slammed, Joey Rose in Cougars Win - Kane County Cougars
- Hogan Posts Strong Start, But Hot Rods Fall 4-0 to Fort Wayne - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snyder Homers Twice in 4-1 Kernels Victory - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- 'Caps Losing Skid Continues - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 9 in a Row: Dragons Hold on for 1-Run Win in Series Opener with West Michigan - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Crack Three Homers to Top Timber Rattlers 4-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Shutout Clinton 1-0 Tuesday - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Install Solar Panels at Modern Woodmen Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 11 at Bowling Green (Game 63) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Daniels and Castellanos Added to All-Star Team - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closed for 4 Weeks
- 2020 NCAA DIII Baseball Championship Early Bird Tickets on Sale Now