Henry Kessler Named to United States Men's National Team Gold Cup Roster
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - New England Revolution defender Henry Kessler has been added to the United States Men's National Team's Concacaf Gold Cup roster, pending Concacaf approval, by Head Coach Gregg Berhalter as a medical replacement ahead of Sunday's Quarterfinal against Jamaica (10:00 p.m. ET - FS1, TUDN, Univision). Kessler joins teammates Matt Turner (United States) and Tajon Buchanan (Canada) in the Gold Cup Quarterfinals as he earns his first call-up and roster selection with the USMNT senior team. Click here to read a complete preview of Sunday's USMNT match.
Kessler, 23, previously earned two call ups to the Under-23 MNT earlier this year, first joining the squad for January training camp before making three appearances - all starts - at the Concacaf Olympic Qualifying Championship in March. The second-year pro has appeared in 12 games with nine starts for the Revolution this season, giving him 38 appearances for his MLS career across the regular season and playoffs.
As a rookie in 2020, Kessler appeared in all but one game, including four starts in the postseason. Voted the club's Defender of the Year by media, the first rookie to earn the honor since 2011, Kessler also led the club in interceptions (34), tackles won (21), and possessions won (123), The sixth-overall 2020 MLS SuperDraft pick led all selections in games played (22), starts (19), and minutes played (1,823).
A native of New York, N.Y., Kessler joins Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner on the USMNT's Gold Cup roster. Turner started all three group-stage games for the United States and led the team to a perfect 3-0-0 record while conceding only one goal. Turner now owns three shutouts in four international appearances. Berhalter's side won Group B by defeating Haiti, Martinique, and Canada.
The New England Revolution will kick off Sunday's action going for three straight wins with a 6:00 p.m. ET start at home against CF Montreal, airing locally on WSBK-TV38, myRITV, 98.5 The Sports Hub, and 1260 AM Nossa Radio. After the Revolution match, fans can tune in to watch Tajon Buchanan and the end of Canada's Quarterfinal match against Costa Rica, kicking off at 7:00 p.m. ET (FS1, TUDN, Univision). Buchanan has made seven appearances this year with Canada's senior team between Concacaf World Cup Qualifying and the Gold Cup. The U.S. Men's National Team will close out the night against Jamaica at 10:00 p.m. ET.
The 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup is the 16th edition of the continental tournament. The Quarterfinal round kicks off on Saturday, July 24, with the tournament final scheduled for Aug. 1 at Allegiant Stadium in Paradise, Nev. The United States has lifted the Concacaf Gold Cup six times, most recently in the 2017 edition. The USMNT won the inaugural tournament in 1991 before being crowned regional champions again in 2002, 2005, 2007, and 2013.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 24, 2021
- Carlos Vela and Jose Cifuentes Score as LAFC Comes from Behind to Earn 2-2 Draw with Vancouver - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes extend unbeaten streak to four - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Clobbers Rapids 3-0 - Real Salt Lake
- Colombian duo strikes again for the 'Caps - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Moves to Second Place in the Eastern Conference with Victory over Rival FC Cincinnati - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy Fall on the Road to FC Dallas on Saturday Night - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Downs LA Galaxy 4-0 After Ricardo Pepi's Record-Setting Hat Trick - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC (2) - Chicago Fire FC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Loons Come from Behind in a 2-1 Win over Portland - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-1 to Toronto FC at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 to Columbus Crew - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes Host Houston Dynamo FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Henry Kessler Named to United States Men's National Team Gold Cup Roster - New England Revolution
- #DALvLA: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- New York Battles D.C. United in First Round for Atlantic Cup on Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Cf Montreal - New England Revolution
- Orlando City Travels to NYCFC on Sunday - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- New England Revolution Return Home to Host Orlando City SC
- Revolution Clinch Playoff Berth with 3-2 Win at Chicago Fire FC
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 22, 2021
- First-Place Revolution Visit Chicago Fire FC
- Revolution Battle Columbus Crew to 1-1 Draw