Colombian duo strikes again for the 'Caps
LOS ANGELES, CA - In their final match before their return to British Columbia, Vancouver Whitecaps FC battled to a 2-2 draw against Los Angeles Football Club at Banc of California Stadium.
As it was the team's third match in eight days, the starting lineup saw some alterations and the 'Caps started their youngest lineup of the season so far.
The first 45 saw a good push from both ends as Thomas Hasal was put to the test in his fourth straight start.
The 'Caps were able to open the scoring in the 25th minute, giving themselves a 1-0 lead over LAFC.
Set up by Brian White and Cristian Dájome, Déiber Caicedo was able to get himself in the box to put the ball into a net left wide open by Tomas Romero.
The goal was Caicedo's second in three matches, and third of the season overall.
The 'Caps extended their lead in the 38th minute following a free kick. Cristian Gutiérrez was able to get the ball to Dájome who then scored his team-leading sixth goal of the year, heading the ball past Romero.
Just two minutes later Carlos Vela put LAFC on the board, scoring on a diving Hasal. The initial call on the goal was offside, but after review it was overturned and the goal was given.
With the opponents back within one, the 'Caps were able to withstand an additional three minutes of stoppage time pressure from LAFC to go into halftime with a 2-1 lead.
It was not until the 75th minute that the game saw another goal as José Cifuentes tied up the score for LAFC.
At the 84th minute mark it appeared Dájome netted his second of the evening, though the flag immediately came up calling the goal offside.
2-2 was ultimately the final score of the match, and both Whitecaps FC and LAFC left the pitch with one point each.
The 'Caps will return to Sandy, Utah to play one last "home" match at Rio Tinto Stadium versus Minnesota United FC on Saturday, July 31. Kickoff will be at 7 p.m. PT, live on TSN and AM730 radio.
GE Appliances VWFC Player of Quality: Cristian Gutiérrez
Referee: Kevin Stott
25' - VAN - Déiber Caicedo
38' - VAN - Cristian Dájome (Cristian Gutiérrez)
40' - LAFC - Carlos Vela (Eduard Atuesta)
75' - LAFC - José Cifuentes (Diego Palacios, Francisco Ginella)
Possession: LAFC 54.3 - VAN 45.7
Shots: LAFC 10 - VAN 5
Shots on Goal: LAFC 5 - VAN 3
Saves: LAFC 2 - VAN 3
Fouls: LAFC 15 - VAN 20
Offsides: LAFC 2 - VAN 3
Corners: LAFC 5 - VAN 5
27' - VAN - Caio Alexandre
58' - VAN - Michael Baldisimo
67' - LAFC - Corey Baird
69' - VAN - Janio Bikel
82' - LAFC - Jesús David Murillo
84' - VAN - Déiber Caicedo
Los Angeles FC
30.Tomas Romero; 33.Kim Moon-hwan, 94.Jesús David Murillo, 27.Tristan Blackmon (4.Eddie Segura HT), 32.Marco Farfan (12.Diego Palacios HT), 44.Raheem Edwards (13.Corey Baird HT); 7.Latif Blessing (8.Francisco Ginella HT), 20.Eduard Atuesta, 11.José Cifuentes; 9.Diego Rossi, 10.Carlos Vela
Substitutes not used
23.Pablo Sisniega, 2.Jordan Harvey, 16.Danny Musovski, 17.Brian Rodríguez, 19.Bryce Duke
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
1.Thomas Hasal; 23.Javain Brown, 4.Ranko Veselinović, 22.Érik Godoy, 3.Cristian Gutiérrez; 8.Caio Alexandre (31.Russell Teibert 76'), 55.Michael Baldisimo, 19.Janio Bikel; 11.Cristian Dájome ©, 24.Brian White (87.Tosaint Ricketts 76'), 7.Déiber Caicedo
Substitutes not used
12.Evan Newton, 14.Theo Bair, 15.Andy Rose, 17.Leonard Owusu, 27.Ryan Raposo, 28.Jake Nerwinski, 32.Patrick Metcalfe
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 24, 2021
- Carlos Vela and Jose Cifuentes Score as LAFC Comes from Behind to Earn 2-2 Draw with Vancouver - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes extend unbeaten streak to four - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Clobbers Rapids 3-0 - Real Salt Lake
- Colombian duo strikes again for the 'Caps - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Moves to Second Place in the Eastern Conference with Victory over Rival FC Cincinnati - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy Fall on the Road to FC Dallas on Saturday Night - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Minnesota United FC - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Downs LA Galaxy 4-0 After Ricardo Pepi's Record-Setting Hat Trick - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC (2) - Chicago Fire FC (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Loons Come from Behind in a 2-1 Win over Portland - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-1 to Toronto FC at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 to Columbus Crew - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes Host Houston Dynamo FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Henry Kessler Named to United States Men's National Team Gold Cup Roster - New England Revolution
- #DALvLA: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- New York Battles D.C. United in First Round for Atlantic Cup on Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Cf Montreal - New England Revolution
- Orlando City Travels to NYCFC on Sunday - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC to Host Frontline Heroes Appreciation Night, Presented by BMO
- 'Caps secure valuable road point against 3rd place Rapids
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Now Required at Whitecaps FC Home Matches
- 'Caps come close but fall 1-0 in Cascadia Cup derby at BC Place
- Whitecaps FC Loan Homegrown Goalkeeper Isaac Boehmer to Pacific FC