Helsley Twirls Gem in Palm Beach Victory
Jupiter, FL - Ryan Helsley gave up one unearned run in six innings and only gave up two hits while striking out eight and walking two, leading the Palm Beach Cardinals (32-21) to a 3-2 victory over the Lakeland Flying Tigers (22-32).
The Cardinals jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third. Thomas Spitz led off the inning with a single and got to second on a sacrifice bunt off the bat of Jose Godoy. Darren Seferina singled up the middle to drive in Spitz and give the Cardinals the lead.
The Flying Tigers scored in the top of the sixth as the leadoff man, Jose Azocar, reached on an error. He then scored on a Joey Pankake double to tie the game at one.
The Cardinals grabbed the lead back in the bottom of the sixth as Tommy Edman drew a one-out walk and got to second on a wild pitch. Chris Chinea singled through the left side with two outs and drove in Edman to take the 2-1 lead. Chinea got to second on the throw to the plate and scored on a Leobaldo Pina single to right giving the Cardinals the 3-1 lead at the end of six.
The Flying Tigers grabbed a run back in the top of the seventh as Andrew Morales came into the game to replace Helsley. Ben Verlander reached second on a fielding error by Thomas Spitz and got to third on a passed ball. He later scored on a David Gonzalez ground out to make it a one run game. Morales ended the top of the seventh with a strike out of Azocar.
Ross Vance, Juan Perez and Ramon Santos combined to toss scoreless eighth and ninth frames to give the Beach Birds the 3-2 victory. Santos recorded his second save of the season.
Images from this story
Palm Beach Recap 6-1
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from June 1, 2017
- Yankees' Comeback Falls Short in 6-4 Loss - Tampa Yankees
- Moats Bails out Stone Crabs in 6-4 Win over Yankees - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Errors Costly Again for Blue Jays in Home Loss - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Waguespack's Start, Garcia's Slam Lift Threshers - Clearwater Threshers
- Helsley Twirls Gem in Palm Beach Victory - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Marauders Down Miracle, 5-1 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Mets Stumble in 4-2 Extra Innings Loss to Tortugas - St. Lucie Mets
- Bradenton 5, Fort Myers 1 - Bradenton Marauders
- Seven Threshers Named to FSL All-Star Team - Clearwater Threshers
- Paul, Rodriguez, Navarreto and Clay Named FSL South All-Stars - Fort Myers Miracle
- Four Tortugas Named to All-Star Game - Daytona Tortugas
- Mets Place 5 on FSL South All Star Team - St. Lucie Mets
- Seferina, Gallen Tabbed as FSL South Division All-Stars - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Lowe, Sullivan and Cronenworth Named 2017 FSL All-Stars - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Greg Bird to Begin Rehab Stint with Tampa on Thursday, June 1st - Tampa Yankees
- Flying Tigers Starting Pitcher Beau Burrows Selected to Florida State - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Florida State League All-Star Rosters Announced - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Nine Marauders Named to 2017 Florida State League South Division - Bradenton Marauders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Palm Beach Cardinals Stories
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium to Host 2019 Florida State League All-Star Game
- Six Cardinals Named to Florida State League All-Star Game
- Kim Mulkey and Daughter Makenzie Fuller to Throw out First Pitch Prior to Thursday's Game at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium
- Quiet Bats Lead to Series Finale Loss to Florida
- Cardinals Walk-Off in 10th Inning on Wild Pitch