'Hawks Win Battle with the Birds 11-5
SIOUX FALLS, SD - The Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks broke open a scoreless game in the fourth inning and never looked back as they took down the Sioux Falls Canaries 11-5 before a crowd of 2,913 at the Bird Cage.
RedHawks starter Ty Kelley got off to a phenomenal start. The right-hander retired the first seven Canaries he saw before surrendering a triple to Cody Bishop, who would be left stranded at third after Kelley retired the next two batters.
The 'Hawks would tack on two runs in the fourth. Luke Bailey reached on a throwing error and would be driven in on a triple from Charlie Valerio. Michael Wing would follow with an RBI single making it 2-0.
Fargo-Moorhead would get to Sioux Falls' starter Stephen Bougher again in the fifth. Zach Penprase and Drew Muren led off with singles followed by a walk to Chad Mozingo loading the bases. Penprase would be thrown out on a play at the plate while Muren and Mozingo advanced to second and third. Dunigan sent a sac fly to right scoring Muren followed by a two RBI double from Bailey giving the 'Hawks a 5-0 lead while signaling the end of the road for Bougher.
The Canaries bats would not stay quiet for long. Sioux Falls would score three runs in the bottom of the sixth. Former Minnesota Twin Jason Repko drove two in on a double to left and would later be driven in two batters later on a single from Brian Humphries making it 5-3.
Ty Kelley gave way to Nick Cooney for the bottom of the seventh frame. He went six innings allowing three runs (one earned) on five hits with a pair of walks and five punch outs.
After a scoreless seventh for both teams Fargo-Moorhead exploded for four runs in the top of the eighth putting the game out of reach for Sioux Falls.
The Canaries did mount a slight comeback in the eighth. Repko scored on a sac fly from Humphries and Richard Stock ripped an RBI double making it 9-5 after eight innings.
The RedHawks put a pair of insurance runs up in the top of the ninth. Luke Bailey, who led off with a walk, scored on a single from Wing who would score two batters later from a Zach Penprase sac fly to center giving Fargo-Moorhead an 11-5 lead.
Kelley (5-5) gets the win while Boucher (4-5) takes the loss for the Canaries. Zach Penprase had a monster game, going 3-for-5 with a run scored and a run driven in after being the only starter in yesterday's game to not record a hit.
With the win, the 'Hawks improve to 36-51 and win their second game in as many days while the Canaries drop to 32-54. Tyler Alexander (3-5, 3.29 ERA) takes the mound in game two at the Bird Cage. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. with a 6:45 p.m. pre-game start on 740 AM The Fan.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 24, 2015
- 'Hawks Win Battle with the Birds 11-5 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- A Night of Firsts as Saints Lose Third Straight 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Post Comeback Win in Quebec - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Add Former MLB Hurler to Staff, Bring Back Oldham - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Add Outfield Help in Hibbert - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Abercrombie Named Player of the Week - AA
- Blackwell Earns Pitcher of the Week Award - AA
- Zombie Night to Invade Shaw Park - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Blackwell Named American Association's Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Abercrombie's Hot Week Lands Him Player of the Week - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- ThunderHeads Back Home - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Canaries Hand Saints First Series Loss at CHS Field in 10-3 Win on Sunday Night - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.