RailCats Add Outfield Help in Hibbert
SIOUX CITY, IA - The Gary South Shore RailCats in the middle of a crucial six game road trip that impacts the clubs post season hopes have announced that the team has signed OF Matt Hibbert and will join the club in Sioux City. To make room for Hibbert on the active roster the club has placed RHP Travis McGee on the Disabled List.
Matt Hibbert comes to the South Shore via the same route that recently added Brennan Metzger traveled. Hibbert played 68 games this season with the Pacific Association Sonoma Stompers playing center field and batting .306 with four home runs and 32 RBI. Hibbert left with a six game hitting streak for the Stompers going 11 for his last 26. This season the Arizona native has stolen 32 bases for Sonoma leading the league.
In 2014 Hibbert played 48 games for the Stompers with a pair of homers and 25 RBI and a .296 average. In 2013 he played for the Hawaii Stars in the North American Baseball League where he appeared in 54 games hitting .264 with 15 RBI. Hibbert began his pro career with 22 games in Chico of the same NABL hitting .373 with four RBI. He has a career total of 76 stolen bases in parts of four seasons. Hibbert played at Long Beach State in 2010 and 2011 and two seasons at Los Angeles Harbor College and was a three-sport athlete at Basha High School in Chandler, Ariz.
Travis McGee last pitched for the RailCats on Sunday where he suffered the loss at Fargo going 5.1 giving up 11 earned runs in the loss. For the season McGee is 2-1 with a 4.98 ERA in 11 games with 28 walks and 29 SO. McGee had a four-game stint with the RailCats last season, going 1-1 with a 5.23 ERA in 10.1 innings. He split his rookie season in 2014 between Gary and Windy City of the Frontier League.
The RailCats face the league leading Sioux City X's tonight in the first game of a three game series with the first pitch at 7:00pm. The game can be heard on 95.9 WEFM and online at RailCatsBaseball.com with the pregame at 6:40pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 24, 2015
- 'Hawks Win Battle with the Birds 11-5 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- A Night of Firsts as Saints Lose Third Straight 5-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Post Comeback Win in Quebec - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Add Former MLB Hurler to Staff, Bring Back Oldham - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Add Outfield Help in Hibbert - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Abercrombie Named Player of the Week - AA
- Blackwell Earns Pitcher of the Week Award - AA
- Zombie Night to Invade Shaw Park - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Blackwell Named American Association's Pointstreak Pitcher of the Week - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Abercrombie's Hot Week Lands Him Player of the Week - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- ThunderHeads Back Home - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Canaries Hand Saints First Series Loss at CHS Field in 10-3 Win on Sunday Night - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Announce Single Game Tickets On-Sale
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2021 Season
- Anthem BlueCross BlueShield Announces No Cost Flu Clinics at the Steel Yard
- American Association Designated as Partner League of MLB
- RailCats Announce the Greens at the Steel Yard Event